Carved Creature (?) Sake Cups

Finally getting back up and running! These were some experiments in the first firing of the new glost kiln… some of the colors came out unexpected (and we ended up without any reds because the crew wasn’t able to get into reduction), but default blues aren’t the -worst thing.

It’s been a while since I’ve done much carving, and now I want to do some more. It’s so meditative. :two_hearts:

24 Likes

Those are lovely little vessels!
Being too lazy to Google- what’s a glost kiln?

3 Likes

I love love love them!
I would put them on display and look at them every single day.

4 Likes

The carvings make them so interesting and the blue is so pretty! I don’t know what “the crew wasn’t able to get into reduction” means, but imho the default blue is much prettier than red would’ve been.

3 Likes

Amazing work! The blues are perfect :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I would put succlents in them!

2 Likes

So cool! Holding them in your hand really gives a sense of scale. I have no idea how you “potter” so small!

2 Likes

They are beautiful in the blue, love the waves.

2 Likes

These are so lovely. Do you form them on a wheel and then carve them?

2 Likes

Such beautiful little treasures. I love the blue on blue, even if it was unexpected.

2 Likes

Beautiful!

2 Likes

Those are so beautiful!

2 Likes

I can’t wait to see your pieces in person…I will start taking bribes requests from admirers to sneak obtain any that might be available to bring back to the mainland! :smiley:

I love the blues and the wonkiness…perfect for the skies and oceans of your state!

2 Likes

These are wonderful! I bet they feel amazing to hold!

2 Likes

Thank you all!

(There were only a few bits I was hoping would have more red/purply bits. But red can be finicky anyway. :woman_shrugging:t3:)

@Lynx, reduction is basically when all the oxygen in the air in the kiln is used up, so the flames and heat have to start using the oxygen in the clay and glaze themselves… (many glazes will look different during an oxidation firing and a reduction firing). Since this was the first firing of a brand new kiln, the team doing the work wasn’t able to quite get the kiln up to come 10 (~2300°F), so it didn’t quite reach the reduction phase. The uncertainty is part of the fun of pottery. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

These are so pretty! Lovely work.

2 Likes

Gorgeous designs and colors! Lovely set!