Ceramic cactus babies

Thank you all so much for the kind words. I let Craftster get off my radar for too long, and I’m so happy to be here at Lettuce Craft!

I have a couple more cactus babies glazing in the kiln right now, and a couple cactus toddlers (I guess… they’re a bit bigger) bisquing. I’ll make sure to bring them by if they work. Or heck, even if they don’t, because process is useful and failures can be great learning tools. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

These are great, Heather! I’m looking forward to seeing what you do with new glazes, etc. I’m sure you made the pots too, but were they fired separately and then put together with the cacti?

@Wulf - Thank you! Two of these were fully attached before bisque firing. The third one wasn’t (unintentionally, forgetfully)–which turned out to be a lot easier to glaze, since I didn’t have to stick a brush down into the base of the cactus to where it sits on a “soil” platform. I put the two pieces together for the glaze firing, so the glazes stuck them together. I decided to work that way on purpose for the set I’m currently working on.

1 Like

Two more completed, and two ready to glaze tomorrow.

7 Likes

One day I’ll get around to trying ceramics. . . .mostly because of posts like this. I am jealous of your incredible ability to create these little guys as I’m sure I’d be lucky to create misshapen lumps! LOL

They are oh so cute!

@Some_Girl… try it! I didn’t take pictures of the multiple misshapen lumps that landed in the recycle bucket before my teacher suggested that I try carving instead of using more typical handbuilding techniques for the plant forms. Every new project is a new learning experience, and sometimes it’s nice to be working with “just mud.” The little bits of clay used to figure out the form cost very little, and can be recycled in the studio. There wasn’t much to lose by trying!

1 Like

You’re right, nothing to lose by trying. Maybe this year will be the year!

Thanks for the encouragement :blush:

1 Like

So cool!! Do you have a photo of one with your fiber art cacti?

I really need to do that. Coming soon! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Better late than never. I’m catching up on all kinds of things right now. Brass cactus was $2.48 on Pier 1 clearance. The two on the sides were received in swaps 10+ years ago. I made the little box thing.

3 Likes

They look great together! I love your cluster of easy-to-care-for (non?)succulents! :smiley: