Challenge chain, post your completed challenges here, and chat about the challenges

There are bugs and water colour paintings and a carry bag, I went All OUT!

1 Like

Here’s my entry for CIRCLES from @jemimah

It’s a ribbon dance toy for my friend’s son’s birthday. He LOVES rainbows and I had this idea but didn’t have a wooden ring at home, so I took a slice out of a seltzer bottle and melted the cut ends with an iron (with parchment paper to protect the iron!) It came out way better than I expected… kind of like a plastic bracelet bangle. I will definitely be making more of these!

10 Likes

Great idea!

Love the game with the crocheted veggies!!!

And the ribbon rainbow is lovely; so clever to use what you had on hand! I think it would look pretty in a window, or hanging on a front porch where the rainbow would flutter in the breeze…

I don’t think I’m picturing this right… when you make more, might there be a tutorial?? :green_heart:

1 Like

I chose @thanate’s challenge of PAPER and made penguins. I haven’t done origami for years and forgot a number of folds so wasn’t able to make what I really wanted, plus my paper was too thick. I’m almost embarrassed posting these because they are so simple. I might fold more later with regular paper.

9 Likes

Ooh, I love it!! What a great way to remake something! So fun :rainbow:

I love everybody’s awesome things! This challenge chain is such a great way to keep the creative energy bubbling along :smile:

I finally started working on my Weird Animals challenge! I’m hoping that I can make some decent progress tomorrow and finish this weekend!

My finished project inspired by a song!

Everything in its right place by radiohead
I chose this song because I’ve been thinking about how I’m the one who decides where everything in our home is supposed to go but I still can’t put ANYTHING AWAY.

12 Likes

Great colors! Love the mixes of green in particular.

Those penguins are very cute, @Cindy!

And @audity, that is one gorgeous quote celebration!

1 Like

@Cindy, they may be simple to you, but they’re still miles beyond what I know of origami - and super cute! I’d love to have them deliver messages by secretly leaving them at people’s front doors. :smile:

Though I’ll get around to more proper recipe-following, here is what I made yesterday, completing the basic challenge task: it’s a cream sauce of peppers and onions over lentil pasta with sausage…all vegan!

I saw the peppers- and-sausage dish roler made recently, and drooled more than I usually drool. I had these ingredients, so I went for it. (First batch had parmesan, so it wasn’t vegan, and it didn’t affect the taste).

Great northern beans with garlic and olive oil are the base. Usually my non-dairy cream sauce base is butter beans, but I’m working my way through a large supply of these other beans. Not shown are various spices I added…and the sherry.
Over all it was very tasty, but needed more sherry and more peppers…as is the case with many things in life. And it would have been much better if I’d sauteed garlic and olive oil instead of just putting them in the sauce raw. I, erm, glanced at a recipe, but it was more an experiment in throwing things together I hadn’t tried before!

8 Likes

Next up, FAVORITE ANIMAL…I crocheted this basket with hemp twine over bedsheet yarn as a napping basket for my foster cat, who is technically my favorite animal at the moment because she’s the only one here, but she’s testing that! :laughing: if she will sit in it I’ll get a photo.

7 Likes

What a great way to make a basket!! I have been using a high count bedsheet to make linings for the masks…I have so many smaller scraps…it looks quite cozy as well!

Okay, an hour or two late, but here’s what I made for @Bunny1kenobi’s challenge, MOVIES. It’s a (quick-and-dirty) zoetrope!

It’s made from a decorated tin, mounted on a fidget spinner.

My original idea was to animate a scene from one of my favorite movies, like maybe Gene Kelly singing in the rain… but I’m back working and commuting, so I ran out of time and steam.

So I just used an animation strip I found online at Instructables.

Here’s a link to my zoetrope in motion: https://youtu.be/I7YR2HvYAq4

7 Likes

It’s fantastic! And, what a brilliant idea to use a fidget spinner as a base. I don’t think I have one squirreled away in my desk at school, but I bet 5 Below still carries them. Because I’m totally going to steal your idea :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, this was really fun to watch spin! Nice work!

1 Like

FANTASTIC!! I’m so excited that you did something so out of the box for that challenge!!! I LOVE THIS!!!:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

1 Like

Thanks, everyone! I can’t claim credit for the fidget spinner idea, @craftADDchick. I saw someone online who made a zoetrope out of 2 fidget spinners. (That may have been at Instructables. I surfed all over the place, so I don’t remember what I saw where.)

The fidget spinner is actually not a great base if you build a sizable zoetrope like mine. You can’t hold it in your hand, so you have to then mount the fidget spinner onto a large base. (I used a cutting mat.)

And you have to mount the tin on one small spot, with the result that it wobbles a bit. But I was in a hurry. I also considered using my cake decorating turntable! Most zoetropes have a spindle in the middle, but I really did not want to pierce a hole in the middle of the tin, which is a beautiful vintage tin from Belgium.

1 Like

That was really cool! Old school is really pretty fun…the tin worked well with the running tiger…it almost gave a feel of an old carousel!

2 Likes