Chicken Tamale Pie

Has anybody else made this yet? I’d love to hear how it turned out! I’m thinking of adding even more veggies next time. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That skillet is my size portion! looks amaze balls!

2 Likes

Oh, that does look so tasty!

2 Likes

I made this!!
Hubby is the shopper and cook in our family but he has been out of commission due to knee surgery. I went to the grocery store and bought everything and made it…easy peasy…especially since I used packaged cornbread and already cooked chicken!
It was so yummy that he asked for another serving! We have enough left over for maybe lunch if he does not eat it as a midnight snack.
I really am overwhelmed when I see so many recipes on the internet but when one of you make it, I trust the recipe. Thanks @roler. This will go into our rotation, even if he makes it next time!

4 Likes

I made it! I used Marie Callander’s corn muffin mix, doubled the recipe, and made it in a casserole dish. It was pretty good. In future I would probably add extra corn and black beans to the topping. I think it would give a lot more depth to the flavour and I love anything with black beans and corn.

3 Likes

Ooh, black beans are a great idea! I added a bell pepper and I think I might try the beans next time too!

@AIMR I’m so glad you and your husband both liked it! I agree; it’s hard to tell which recipes online will be good ones, so I like it when the community vets things! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This looks absolutely delicious. I would add a bunch of sweet red bell peppers, and maybe use marinara sauce since I’m not big on spicy hotness. Can’t wait to try this!

2 Likes

I made this, too! Sooo good, thanks for sharing!

I agree, black beans would be a great addition…and maybe some chopped fresh jalapeno…mmm.

3 Likes

I’m making this tonight! Let’s hope it turns out as yummy as yours looks!

3 Likes

My results!

It was yummy! I put the corn in the main part because neither of us are big fans of corn in corn bread and it worked well.

7 Likes

That looks amazing!

2 Likes

oh yummy…looks like a winner!

1 Like

I made this tonight!
I like how versatile it is. I didn’t have chicken in my freezer (how did that happen?!) so I used ground turkey. I added black beans and jalapeno to the meat.
Very tasty but next time I will make my own cornbread mixture. I had forgotten how sweet Jiffy is. And I don’t like sweet and savory in my meals. But this will definitely go in the rotation.

3 Likes

Awesome! I want to try black beans next time too, and I’ll probably try it with my own cornbread recipe as well.

That looks super tasty! I can almost smell the cheese…

I don’t like that mix either in savory dishes…I did find a regular cornbread mix at the Food Lion that was perfect for this but I forgot the brand…next time I go, I will look to see what it was…cornmeal in bulk always goes mealy for me no matter how I store it so I buy as I need it…same with flour and bisquick…

1 Like

Oh, man, the Jiffy is my favorite part, lol. :wink:

I am loving all the variations on this! Great share, @roler

1 Like

cos you are a “yankee” :joy: :wink:

1 Like

I like the idea of this. One of my daughters doesn’t do dairy, and of course her brother loves it. I think I could alter this to make everyone happy though. For a lot of recipes, I leave off the cheese,and cover it with foil in the oven so it doesn’t dry out. Then add the cheese to just part of it at then end.

2 Likes

I don’t do lactose but can eat aged cheese. I used lactose free sour cream in the corn bread part and then cheddar on top. But I think you could get away without using sourcream and maybe a little water or some non-dairy milk.

1 Like