Christmas Craftalong

Oh that’s awful :frowning: I can imagine people might not feel safe in their own homes when burglars are that bold. Even if they’re just looking for stuff that easy to sell, the idea of a stranger walking into your home to steal your stuff is pretty scary.

My mum doesn’t have a porch, so the gifts are exposed to the elements. I’m going to watch from the corner to see if she’s opening the door, if she’s not home I’ll put them inside. But the weather is the biggest risk here, I can’t imagine someone walking into her garden to steal a bag of wrapped up gifts.

Thankfully my own neighbourhood is also pretty safe. It doesn’t have a reputation for being a “safe” neighbourhood, and I know of at least two families who make their income in an illegal way. They just make sure to not commit their own crimes in this neighbourhood. Mr Imma often doesn’t want to ride his bike into the garden at night (the alley behind our houses is very dark and has loose pavers) but no one is stealing it. We try to stay out of certain neighbours’ business, I don’t want to know about it or get involved, but we all accept parcels for each other and we help each other shovel when it snows. That’s all I want for neighbours.

6 Likes

@Abbeeroad they are 3, (almost 5), 7, 11, and 11. It’s just the impatience regarding the icing “glue” to set and the sugar rush didn’t help the patience either. They just wanted to decorate the things and a few wanted to eat them so I opted to skip hotglue; which would have set fast for them to decorate an actual structure. It’s fine though, they were happy decorating cookies.

@Immaculata I like your tradition. What a wonderful surprise that will be for your mother.

@AIMR Your ornaments turned out great! I need to start mine soon. Still haven’t put our tree up yet either. Intended to today, but I don’t think we’ll be doing that with my son’s little birthday dinner (party).

3 Likes

Do you have twins?

@Immaculata --what a great tradition! Sounds like the best part is trying to make it all a surprise!

2 Likes

No. My eldest son and my nephew are both 11.

4 Likes

Cookie decorating is a totally acceptable alternative. :smile:

4 Likes

OH! Maybe some of y’all’s Christmas crafts would be great entries in the Green Holiday “Greens” Challenge!

5 Likes

Gotta turn it to just the right angle, LOL
Will the kids help you decorate it?

1 Like

This is so interesting!
In my mind, St Nick & Santa were always the same, but I guess not!

And @AIMR , your ornaments came out great!

3 Likes

They are definitely cousins or something, but in my country we consider them different people. Parents here often tell kids that St Nick and Santa made a deal together, and that St. Nick visits children today in some countries, and Santa visits kids in other countries at Christmas.

6 Likes

One down!

15 Likes

Good on you!

2 Likes

Did you knit that in seed stitch? Love the texture!

3 Likes

Yes!

Pattern.

3 Likes

I feel like I’m getting nowhere here. Must. Get. Knitting!

8 Likes

The hat I am doing also has a lovely texture but it uses slip stitch. I did a scarf in all moss stitch so I know it is very time consuming!

3 Likes

What pattern are you working on? I have 3 more hats to make and of course when my daughters saw me working on this they want their own…

4 Likes

It is a basic hat, cast on 70-90.

I can message you the PDF.

2 Likes

Beautiful!

2 Likes

It’s one of the the yarns I got at Bliss the first time we went! I have plans to make a matching one with the pink yarn. It looks so cute on the girls, it’s slouchy and awesome.

That would be awesome, thank you! I have been on a hat pattern pinning frenzy lately. :smile:

4 Likes

Two down!

14 Likes