Green Holiday "Greens" Challenge!

:evergreen_tree: :herb: :leafy_green: :recycle: :evergreen_tree: :herb: :leafy_green: :recycle: :evergreen_tree: :herb: :leafy_green: :recycle: :evergreen_tree: :herb: :leafy_green: :recycle: :evergreen_tree: :herb: :leafy_green: :recycle: :evergreen_tree: :herb: :leafy_green: :recycle:

Let’s put a fun, crafty twist on holiday/winter décor this year! Replace those single use wreaths, swags, and garlands with reusable alternatives. Get creative here! Your entries do not have to be faux plants, just reusable replacements for single use plant items. See a few examples below for inspiration!

The Rules:

• You must craft a reusable alternative to a typically plant-based winter decoration.
  • Each member may only submit one entry, which cannot already be posted on its own thread.
  • Additionally, your entry may not be submitted for any other contest in this community.
  • All entries must be posted by midnight on January 1st, 2023.

The winner of The Green Holiday “Greens” Challenge will receive a $20 Amazon gift card.

Additional Details:

• You should submit your entry by creating a project post on the Completed Projects sub-board.
  • You are REQUIRED to have a descriptive title and then include “- Green Holiday “Greens” 2022 Entry” (example: Abbee’s Fiber Wreath - Green Holiday “Greens” 2022 Entry). Once you have posted your submission, you need to reply to this thread with a link to your post. If you do not do this, your entry will not be considered.
  • Voting will happen on January 2-9, 2023.
  • The winner will be announced on January 10th - we will contact you via Private Message, after the announcement.
  • If cheating of any sort is discovered, the applicable entry and votes will be disqualified.

If you have any questions, or want to chat about your crafting progress for this challenge, post it here! Let’s have fun!

:evergreen_tree: :herb: :leafy_green: :recycle: :evergreen_tree: :herb: :leafy_green: :recycle: :evergreen_tree: :herb: :leafy_green: :recycle: :evergreen_tree: :herb: :leafy_green: :recycle: :evergreen_tree: :herb: :leafy_green: :recycle: :evergreen_tree: :herb: :leafy_green: :recycle:

Entries:
@Lothruin’s Fabric Acorn Ornaments
@Camelama’s Front Door Winter Christmas Wreath
@HeroicHatchling’s Pallet Wood Christmas Tree
@endymion’s Vintage Sewing Notions Christmas Wreath
@mellybelly81’s Simple Twine Wreath
@TheMistressT’s Aluminum Pinecone Wreath

7 Likes

Hoo boy! Or hohoho boy? There’s a project I’ve been noodling on in my brain that might just be perfect for this Challenge! EEP!

5 Likes

Definitely “Ho Ho Ho” Boy! :laughing:

I can’t wait to see what you’re cooking up!!

1 Like

That fiber wreath that you linked to is really neat! It would be a fun project for some of our stamp makers to put their own spin on!

2 Likes

I admit being personally very inspired by the fiber wreath as well. I’d really like to do something scrappy like that, but it’s possibly overly ambitious for the timeline of this challenge!

Yes, love the stamping in there, too!

2 Likes

Hmm, this comment got me thinking. I have an idea, but need to finish a big project before I can focus on anything else.

1 Like

Ooo…intriguing!

1 Like

Oddly specific and a fun challenge! I like it.

1 Like

Oooh, I love that crocheted garland! I would totally have created something like that for my neutral staged Christmas tree this year, if only I had time!

3 Likes

Ooh, I love that leaf wreath! That would make an incredible garland too… I have an idea!

2 Likes

What is considered as green?
F.I if i make a tree out of wood with paper decorations is the wood consider as plantbased ?
thanks

1 Like

Let’s see if I can come up with something!

It’s not a craft, but one of my favourite reusable Christmas decorations is my amaryllis bulb. I got it as a Christmas gift I think 3 years ago and I just replant the bulb every year. If you take good care of it, that one bulb can last years and years.

2 Likes

Oooh! Great question! Our thinking behind this was that the “green” part was reusable vs single use. So, yes, I think using wood for a project counts as long as you reuse it year after year!

Wow! I never heard of this. That’s really cool!

1 Like

Amaryllis flowers are a very popular Christmas decoration here! Amaryllises and poinsetta’s are the kind of flowers you’d bring if someone invited you for Christmas. Like this: Amaryllis voor een sfeervolle kerst: Tips voor decoraties I assumed that would be the case everywhere, but apparantly not! Sometimes the bulb is painted (like this one: https://www.plantje.nl/amaryllis-rode-bol/ ) I’m not sure if those are reusable, but a plain bulb can be used year after year. Mine is white and I put it in a plain white pot in the windowsill. They are really amazing flowers, when they start growing they sometimes grow so fast that you can almost see them growing.

4 Likes

Information on them was plentiful online so it might be just me. :sweat_smile: I’m going to look for one this year!

2 Likes

Fabric Acorn Ornaments- Green Holiday “Greens” 2022 Entry

Ok, here it is! First time entering one of the challenges!

9 Likes

Awesome!!

1 Like

Mine is growing very fast now! It always feels very special to see a flower grow during the darkest, shortest days of the year.

2 Likes

An entry! I made a wreath that would visually pop on my dark door, instead of an old brown grapevine wreath or a new/different fresh green fir wreath every year.

And today it snowed! And my white wreath feels even more appropriate. :wink:

7 Likes