Citrus Olive Oil Cake

I was so excited to have the lovely @pottermouth and her daughter stay with us last night. In honor of the occasion I decided to make a Mediterranean diet-friendly olive oil cake to celebrate. This recipe was adapted from a recipe by Katiebird Bakes. Here’s my version.

For the cake:
1 c whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 c granulated sugar
3/4 of the zest from one large grapefruit
2 large eggs
1 cup yogurt (I used non-dairy coconut yogurt)
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large grapefruit
1 orange
1-2 tangerines

Glaze:
1/3 cup fresh citrus juice
1 tablespoon granulated sugar

Icing:
2 tablespoons glaze (see below)
1 cup powdered (confectioner’s) sugar
1/4 of the zest from the grapefruit
Pinch of salt
Sliced almonds for garnish

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and grease a bundt pan well with cooking spray, and sprinkle in some granulated sugar. Set aside.

Zest & juice your grapefruit. Juice your orange & tangerines, until you have close to 1 cup or mixed citrus juice.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, & salt; set aside.

In a large bowl, rub the sugar and grapefruit zest together with your fingers until the mixture is fragrant.

Add the eggs, yogurt, olive oil, vanilla, and 1/2 cup of citrus juice to the sugar, and whisk it all together until well combined.

Add the flour mixture into the wet mixture, and stir until just mixed.

Pour the batter into your bundt pan, and bake for 35-40 minutes, until the cake is golden around the edges, and cooked through.

While it bakes, prepare the the glaze and icing:

Glaze: Place 1/3 cup citrus juice and 1 tbsp granulated sugar in a microwave-safe measuring cup or bowl. Microwave on high until bubbling and sugar has melted, about 1 minute. Whisk together and set aside to let cool; reserve 2 tbsp of the glaze for the icing.

Icing: whisk together 2 tbsp of the prepared glaze, the powdered sugar, remaining grapefruit zest, and salt in a small bowl until smooth and pourable. Set aside.

When the cake comes out of the oven, immediately poke holes all over the surface of the cake with a wooden skewer or toothpick. Pour the glaze over the hot cake slowly, allowing it to soak in.

Let the glaze soak into the cake for 15 minutes, then turn the cake out onto a wire rack.

Once the cake is released and cooled, pour the icing over top, and garnish with slivered almonds.

12 Likes

Bookmarking–looks delicious.

1 Like

That looks fabulous and how lucky to have a visit from pottermouth!

1 Like

Oh this sounds marvelous! Bookmarking for later!

1 Like

Yum! :heart:

1 Like

This is going in my book marks :purple_heart:

1 Like

This looks scrumptious and I LOVE your counter!

1 Like

This sounds delish! It looks beautiful too.

1 Like

Not to toot my own horn, but it’s flippin delicious. We’re going through a giant bundt cake WAY too fast. LOL

This looks scrumptious! Not at all surprised to hear that it is disappearing at an alarming rate :laughing:

Oooo! Yum! I love the idea of using grapefruit with an olive oil cake!

1 Like

It looks too pretty to eat!

Thanks @roler! But actually that’s the kitchen table. I bought it from an artist on Etsy who is here in TN. It’s made from salvaged wood, and inset with tiles. My real counters are boring but perfectly nice black granite. So whenever possible, I photograph things on the table. Sadly the table didn’t come with matching chairs, so I did my own.

2 Likes

That seriously looks like something out of a fancy cookbook - I bet it tastes as good too :wink: