CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Midsummer 2020

Those keto berry scones look delicious! I’m stealing that recipe for this weekend lol. The last time I did keto I had no sweets at all and it was so. Freaking. Hard. This time I’m being more gracious with myself and expanding the food palette. It’s been much easier to say no to non keto food this time and I think allowing myself a treat has totally been helping!

Well, I have an advanced studies update that I missed posting yesterday.
Only six made this week instead of nine.

1 Like

Keto can be VERY hard, getting used to darker chocolate so you can still have chocolate. Only being allowed berries for fruit options. I make a point of having SOMETHING keto that resembles a dessert for when I need a snack.

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Potions (helpful before/after exercise)
House: Slytherin
Project Name & Page Link: Keto Cheesecake Fat Bombs
Brief Description: Made a batch of these after working out this morning. I followed the recipe as given, though next time I will probably just roll them in Cocoa powder instead of trying to be fancy by grating up a square of Lindt 85% to top them with. Grated chocolate seems to go everywhere EXCEPT onto the item you want it on. This, along with a keto scone is going to be a well earned post workout
treat.

2 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Book Club - Ch 11 Quidditch
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Connecticut Style Lobster Rolls & Easy Whoopie Pies
Brief Description: I’m a born and bred New Englander, who has been living in the South since 2008. While many things are the same anywhere you go in the US, there are occasionally things I miss from home, while living down in Nashville. One of those is lobster rolls in the summer time. This year I got all nostalgic on the 4th, and made lobster rolls, and a traditional New England baked good, whoopie pies, for dessert. In a bit of a cheat, I made the lobster rolls were made with frozen lobster so I didn’t have to boil & shell them myself, and then because I couldn’t find my mom’s recipe, I made the whoopie pies from a cake mix & pudding mix. They were quite good, but not the same as mom’s. Of course, and hour later, I found her recipe! :laughing:
Project Picture:

4 Likes

Wicked cool spread, Jennie. Complete with Cape Cod chips!

When we visited the cape last year, the one place we really wanted to go was the chip factory, but it was closed! :sob:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress Expecto Patronum
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: Face Masks https://lovewoolies.com/blogs/news/mask-tutorial
**Brief Description:**Some face masks for friends.

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch: Barnton Quidditch
Project Name & Page Link: Hair Bows
Brief Description: These hair bows for puppy pictures are all under 4" square.

1 Like

A new Hermione’s Book Club prompt has been posted!

It absolutely had to be Cape Cod chips. Nothing else would do.

1 Like

Hey! Jumping in again. Sorry I haven’t been on so much. Balancing life and mask making has been crazy. Making lemonade out of the lemons has been daunting. I haven’t been doing much besides cooking/baking and mask making.

Class or Challenge Title: Expecto Patronum Challenge
SPEW or LC Contest: LC Contest (yes, I actually did it right this time!)
Project Name & Page Link: Face Masks 6/4/20
Brief Description: 8 masks in this batch for my SIL’s friend and daughter
Project Picture:

SPEW or LC Contest: LC Contest
Project Name & Page Link: Face Masks 6/19/20
Brief Description: Masks for friends and family, 16 in total for this batch. Mainly for my husband who has to travel a lot for work
Project Picture:

Project Name & Page Link: Face Masks 6/23/20
Brief Description: 42 masks for family and friends
Project Picture:

Project Name & Page Link: Face Masks 6/29/20
Brief Description: 37 masks for family and friends
Project Picture:

Project Name & Page Link: Face Masks 6/30/20
Brief Description: 4 masks for family and friends
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Charms
Project Name & Page Link: Sour Dough Pizza!!
Brief Description: Can you believe that I’ve been doing a little sour dough making? I mean, who isn’t? I decided to try doing pizza! I baked them on the traeger. They were a little crispy but so delicious! I was a little adventurous and did like 6 pizzas!

Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Defense Against the Dark Arts
Project Name & Page Link: Biscuits
Brief Description: Homemade biscuits from scratch are my comfort food. They are easy to make and so delicious! I made these ones for father day and also made homemade sausage gravy, but I didn’t get a picture. It was soooo good!

Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Herbology
Project Name & Page Link: Canned Raspberries in Syrup
Brief Description: As a girl, I remember my Nana canning a lot. One of my favorite things that she canned was raspberries in a simple syrup. I’ve been canning myself now for 15 years, but I’ve yet to can raspberries like my nana. We have a huge section of raspberry bushes in our backyard. I picked 3.5 pounds of raspberries on Sunday evening. I decided to share my childhood memory with my kiddos and we canned up some raspberries yesterday. I did mine in a medium syrup, since raspberries can be tart. Below is big bean helping me out!
https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_02/berries_whole.html
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Freedom Challenge
Project Name & Page Link: Cheesy Chicken Meatballs
Brief Description: I made up some yummy meatballs for dinner last night, cooked in my gas stove. They are so easy and low carb and gluten free! I did mine with a mixture of ground chicken and turkey. I accidentally bough jack cheese instead of mozzarella, but I didn’t notice a difference. Even better was that I added fresh oregano and basil from my garden. Yum!!

Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Summer Quidditch! - #7. Montrose Magpies vs. Vratsa Vultures
Project Name & Page Link: charcuterie board
Brief Description: Vratsa Vultures I tried something new and it was a charcuterie board. I made it for movie and snack night and man out man was it awesome! Its my new favorite thing!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Astronomy
Project Name & Page Link: Pickled Eggs
Brief Description: I’ll tell you what’s curvy! Eggs! :wink: I found some small eggs at the local farmer’s market. I’ve been wanting to do a batch of pickled eggs for my husband since he’s never had any. I don’t like pickled things myself, but I love him. So, I gave it a shot. After a few weeks of marinating, he got to try them this weekend and he loved them. They even have a kick to them, thanks to the cut up jalapenos!
Project Picture:

4 Likes

**Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch Ballywick Bats
**House: Hufflepuff
**Project Name & Page Link: Rainbow Shells
**Brief Description: I paint Warhammer figures for my DH all the time and I love to pick up shells at the beach. I figured I would combine the two into something colorful and easy. I used Citadel paints because those 80 cent acrylics from Michael’s were just not saturated enough and I sealed each one with a few layers of Mod Podge. I’m not sure what I’ll do with them. They might eventually end up on the wall of my craft room. Right now they are sitting on my unfinished/to do craft basket, taking up space and bringing me joy.
**Project Picture:

3 Likes

Oh man, I’m drooling over that charcuterie board, and the meatball casserole sounds pretty good, too!

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: DADA
House: Slytherin :snake:
Project Name & Page Link: [Dark Side rainbow socks] (links to Ravelry) (https://www.ravelry.com/projects/CraftsUntold/dark-side-vanilla-rainbow#)
Brief Description: The thing keeping me most sane during covid-19 lockdown has been knitting. But there had been a lot of days when the complicated lace & cables of my currrent projects were too daunting. A plain vanilla sock was in order, to keep me occupied and feel accomplished.
Project Picture:

3 Likes

Wow! Those socks are amazing!! <3

Project Name & Page Link: Face Masks 7/7/20
Brief Description: Another batch of masks done. I’m going to be doing small batches all week. So much nicer on my sanity! 8 masks in this batch. I found some new Harry Potter fabric at JoAnn’s, so I “needed” a new mask! :wink:
Project Picture:

1 Like

Gotta love self stripping yarn! Minimal effort for a whole bunch of WOW!

Sorry for the dump! I’ve been good at crafting, but terrible at taking pictures. :slight_smile:

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Stash #1
Project Name & Page Link: First Weaving!
Brief Description: I finally got my new loom oiled and assembled, and made this…thing with acrylic yarn that I have bags and bags of. It’s too short to be a real scarf, but could maybe be used as a small table runner?
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch Round 1, Prompt #2 - Sumbawanga Sunrays
Project Name & Page Link: 60’s coloring page
Brief Description: This is a coloring page from “Colors of the Decades”, and was done with alcohol markers and gel pens. It’s a little washed out in the picture, but trust me, this sucker is BRIGHT!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch Round 1, Prompt #4 - Moutohora Macaws
Project Name & Page Link: Margarita Tank Muslin #2
Brief Description: This is my second go-round with the Margarita Tank from A La Mode Patterns (I had to go up a size from my first try), and this version was cut from an old sheet. I will still add a little more length in my next version, but I’m ready to move onto “good fabric” now. This one will still live in my closet as an undershirt though - you never know when you might need a plain white tanktop under something.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch Round 1, Prompt #7 - Montrose Magpies
Project Name & Page Link: Simplicity 8061 Muslin
Brief Description: Before COVID, my sewing focus (sewing being my “main” craft) was trying to build a work wardrobe. Obviously, that fell off for a while, but I’m back on it, knowing that I will be back in the office eventually. This was my first pass at a basic woven top base. However, that even after a solid Full Bust Adjustment and lowering the bust point once, I’ve still got a lot of pulling (really evident in the side pic), and need to lower the bust point more for a good fit.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Transfiguration
Project Name & Page Link: Cashmerette Montrose Muslin
Brief Description: After the troubles with the Simplicty pattern, I finally plumped out for a Cashmerette pattern, which is specifically designed for curves. It’s not perfect, but it’s a much better starting place. If I’ve learned anything from sewing clothes, it’s that good fit is the biggest style boost there is, so getting to a truly well-fitting base pattern is worth the work!
Project Picture:

9 Likes

Great job with getting the fitting going! I need to do that with my clothes but it can feel so daunting. I have to do a fba with every single top and it can really kill a project for me. But you are inspiring! I think I’ll order a bolt of muslin (all mine is gone due to mask liners).

1 Like

That weaving is awesome and I’m so impressed with your adventures in shirt making so far!!

1 Like

Project Name & Page Link: Face Masks 7/9/20
Brief Description: Today’s masks done! 12 in this batch. Made for family and friends. I would have them done yesterday but my sewing machine and I decided to have a fight. I do 9x9 squares for men’s size, 8x8 for women, and 5x7 for kids. All have a strong pipecleaner instead with the ends turned over so they aren’t pokey. I’ve been using tshirt material or other non fraying stretch material for the ear loops. So much softer than elastic!
Project Picture:

3 Likes

I have a bit of an advanced studies Friday update. I finished the last two squares on the sampler Afghan. Now I’ve begun to block them. The trouble is, I thought I had more t-pins! So I can only block 4 at a time instead of the 16 I was planning… It’s my DH and my 17 year anniversary today so it definitely won’t get done this weekend. I’m really hoping to have everything blocked and ends woven by next weekend so I can start putting them together.

3 Likes