CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Yule 2021/22

Class or Challenge Title: Book Club - chapter 9
House: Slytherin
Project Name & Page Link: Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
Brief Description: A friend of mine mentioned these and I was sold. I do like cinnamon rolls, and I love pumpkin so I had to try these. I changed the recipe slightly. From experience I know I don’t like 100% brown sugar filling, but because I like the richness I usually use 50/50 white and brown sugar.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Repair
Project Name & Page Link: Fixing destroyed pockets and shortening the legs
Brief Description: The back of the pockets were completely ripped apart, I have no idea how the guy managed to do it, but when he showed me he decided the smartest way to do it was to rip it even more apart… But I fixed it, wasn’t easy because half of the pocket was sewn closed so I had to change the design a little. While fixing it I also shortened the legs, I’m pleased at how you can’t really see it, so this is something I’ll try again later.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress - October
Project Name & Page Link: Pumpkin pizza pockets.
Brief Description: I know we’re supposed to add recipes but I used store bought pizza dough, store bought pizza sauce, cheese and pepperoni. I used a pumpkin cookie cutter I have and then a knife to cut out the face.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Iron Chef - October
Project Name & Page Link: Thai Mango Sticky Rice Dessert (Khao Niaow Ma Muang)
Brief Description: I don’t like mango, neither do I like overly sweet desserts… but I thought my son who loves those things would like this, and he did. I did like the rice, reminds me a lot about a Norwegian dish we often have around Christmas time, OR about the rice based “sweet/dessert/snack” that is often eaten between meals.
Project Picture:

6 Likes

:earth_americas: Iron Chef Around the World Challenge! :earth_americas:

Our randomly selected country for November is…

:honduras: Honduras: How about some baleadas, horchata, or Honduran banana bread?

Remember, you can be inspired by a whole dish or a single ingredient from each country in our world tour of flavor.

2 Likes

Those cinnamon pumpkin rolls look delicious! I’m going to have to tuck that recipe away.

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Apparition
SPEW or LC Contest: Halloween Costume Challenge
Project Name & Page Link: Kigurumi Unicorn and Axolotls
Brief Description: I made Halloween kigurumi costumes for my boys this year and wound up with one for myself by accident (it is a bit short but DS1 asked me to dress up for trick-or-treating). I bought the pattern, but did have to draft patterns for a few of the details.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Care of Magical Creatures
Project Name & Page Link: Crusty Artisan Bread
Brief Description: My DS1 wasn’t feeling great last week, so we made school lessons lighter for a couple days. An easy project we did, that produced a tummy-comforting result, was make a loaf of bread.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Hermione’s Book Club - Chapter 9 - Grim Defeat
Project Name & Page Link: Caramel Apple Cheesecake Vodka Shots
Brief Description: My DH’s aunt shared The Tipsy Bartender’s recipe for Fireball Whiskey Cheesecake Shots, but my DH isn’t a fan of cherries. So, I modified the recipe (heavily) and sort of made it to taste. This is roughly what I did:

Crust:

1/3 pkg graham crackers, crushed
4 tbsp butter, melted
2 tbsp brown sugar

Filling (cream together):

2 8-oz pkg cream cheese
1/2 cup caramel vodka
4 tbsp sugar

Topping (saute all ingredients, except vodka, until apples are tender and sugar is caramelized; stir in vodka):

3 large granny smith apples, peeled and diced
3 tbsp water
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp butter
1/4 cup caramel vodka

Spoon into cups, cover, and chill. Makes about 30 2-oz servings.
Project Picture:

4 Likes

A new Headmistress Challenge has been posted!

Oh look! There’s also a new Book Club prompt!

4 Likes

According to the poll it looks like this Sunday, November 7th is the best day. I’m thinking noon PST/ 3pm EST/ 8pm GMT/ 7am AEDT (11/8) for a start time. If you want to come hang out message me your email and I will send everyone a Zoom invite.

5 Likes

I don’t feel I’ve done any crafting lately, because life has been intense and insane. But part of the busyness was my friends small registry office wedding. She wasn’t going to have a bouquet, because the ‘real’ (steampunk) wedding will be next year (thrice postponed due to Covid) and it will be a much bigger affair. But I think every bride needs flowers so I offered to make her bouquet and boutonnieres (sp?) .

Class divination
House Ravenclaw
Project Boutonnieres, her colours were hot pink and orange, and they live on a boat called hawthorn, so I added some sprays of berries and leaves from the hedgerows near here. She’s a chef, so I added some rosemary to these and the bouquet

Class SOAR
Project Bridal Bouquet, these were the best flowers I could find, I visited two florists, one supermarket, my garden and the hedgerows to get enough of exactly what I wanted.

With table flowers

Class COMC
Project etched champagne flutes.
Photo (see above) these were done in the midst of lots of drama and sadness, so I didn’t think I had a photo. But turns out they are in the photo above. I made 10 in total, these two were for the bride and groom, the others were simpler steampunk motifs. They definitely are designed to soothe hysteria (at least the consumption of their contents does :wink:

5 Likes

But I have to show you guys this. I bought it for myself and DD Mollie today. It’s a HP, night bus advent calendar. It lights up (if I had batteries!) But how cool is this!!! And cost only about 25$ it’s made of wood. Moll and I will take a side each and fill the little drawers for the other person :grin:

I got it in an Irish chain store Penny’s here, Primark in the UK

7 Likes

G’ah! That is so flippin’ adorable! I’m jealous. I just tried looking up Primark’s website, and apparently last year they had a Hogwarts castle one. I so would have paid more than it was worth in shipping to get that shipped here. LOL

I actually just had a whole advent calendar drama at Aldi today, so I may be extra upset about cute calendars that hide chocolate.

Meanwhile, your flowers look amazing. You’re right. The bride and groom should have some flowers, even if the big wedding is a ways off.

2 Likes

Oh god, whatever you do friends, don’t check eBay… There’s also a Hogwarts Express one…

1 Like

step away from the google… step away…

Seriously. I need to leave my laptop for a cooling off period, before I spend way too much money on eBay for that damn train calendar.

2 Likes

Quick! Start a swap and force invite some of the LCers who do woodwork and/or 3d printing then “randomly” get partenered with them!

2 Likes

If postage wasn’t so expensive and if these weren’t so heavy, if send all you guys advent calendars! @MistressJennie they didn’t have that Hogwarts one in our local store last year :frowning: there were only two of these night buses, so I didn’t hesitate! What happened with your aldi advent calendar drama?

1 Like

Wow! Your floral arrangements are stunning.

Are you sure you want to hear about a completely ridiculous first world problem? LOL

I do a big Aldi trip ever few months, and stock up on pantry and freezer staples. I try to watch their ads for upcoming Finds, so I can plan to go during a week they have an interesting theme. Usually German foods, because Jim loves their Schneitzel. On Tuesday I saw that they were getting in various Advent calendars in on Wednesday. There was the usual cheap kids chocolate ($1.29), but also dog treat, cat treat, beer, wine, champagne, Lego ones with pieces each day for kids, and finally 2 that were fancy adult chocolate ($9 & $15). I thought I’d pick up a beer one for Jim, and a chocolate one for me as a special treat while I can’t have alcohol or caffeine. I was planning to go to the post office & the YMCA on Wednesday morning, (the day they went on sale) so I decided to swing by Aldi the same time, as they’re close together, and I know the calendars are popular and would sell quickly.

I got there about 10:20am, and walked towards the aisle with Special Finds stuff, picking up some canned pumpkin on the way. The shelves were nearly completely empty. There were a few of the ultra cheap kids chocolate ones, and a palette with a maybe 10 of the beer ones left which I didn’t pick up right away, because they’re heavy and I didn’t want to carry it around awhile. I wasn’t sure if they had already sold out, or if the crew was still putting out stock, so I decided to hang out for 5 minutes to see if they were filling the shelves. Another woman was circling, seeming very upset at the lack of calendars. She had got there at 8:00, and said there was a line outside, and people waiting in cars, but the store didn’t open till 9:00, so she ran another errand and came back. I wandered over to frozen foods to check to see if the Schneitzel fairy had been there, and the upset customer walked up past me, to the door to the back room. She started asking for something, finally shouting, ‘Can you just hand me that case?’ Someone in the back room handed her a case of calendars, and she headed to the checkout. So I thought they must still be stocking, and I should keep hanging out. Another woman with kids walked up to the manager who was a few feet away from me, and asked about the calendars too. The manager said ‘Everything we have is already out on the floor. Sorry.’

So I figured, okay, they sold out quicker than I thought, and that woman must have grabbed the last of them. I headed towards the checkout to grab the beer one and leave. But as I did so, an employee with a full to the brim shopping cart came out of the back. All the cases in his cart were labeled as various types of calendars. So I thought he must be bringing them out to the shelves, and I could grab ONE and go. Nope. He walked up to a closed checkout lane, and another employee came out of the office. He proceeded to buy an entire cart full of calendars. I was just kinda shocked. I’ve worked retail, and I’ve had managers who let you put aside 1 of something to buy as your shift ended. Like 1 of a popular book at Christmas. But this was an entire cart of merchandise, that multiple customers were looking for and asking employees about. The guy buying everything and the woman checking him out noticed me watching them, and gave me some serious side eye. I was so upset about what a crappy thing this was to do, that I put the pumpkin back, and just left.

If a store had just sold out of something quickly, and I missed out, no big deal. (Even if it is crappy to let a customer buy a case of something that popular). But then to realize they were letting employees do that just made me mad. I’ve shopped (and loved) Aldi for years, but this made me really question if I’ll go back. I was mad enough to send an email to customer service yesterday, and as of 5 minutes ago, they called and left me a voicemail asking me to call them back. I really hate calling them, especially since I wrote out a detailed account of what happened, and the form to send an email required me to include so much data, including the store’s address, exact time I was there, my name, phone number & address, etc. What more could they possibly have to ask me that they couldn’t do with email?

So yeah, that was my totally ridiculous first world problem. Then I came home and thought about buying a blank wooden one, and decorating it myself, and went down a rabbit hole on Amazon. Five minutes later I saw your post, and the rabbit hole went deeper. LOL

2 Likes

Wow! That is super weird. I can’t imagine what the employees are doing buying so many other than planning to resell them later? Phone calls are a pain (especially when you just get to repeat information you’ve already given) but I do hope the store/employees get some sort of consequences.

1 Like

The rabbit hole got me. I ordered a blank wooden advent calendar, that comes with separate wood numbers and drawer pulls, so that you can decorate it first, then add the knobs. It was a little pricey, but it had really good reviews on Amazon (compared to many others that were badly reviewed for arriving broken), and I don’t really want to spend time rebuilding a wood box. I’d rather spend time decorating it. Also, it had good sized drawers, that you could fit more than a piece of candy in. Some were big enough to hold a Sharpie, and one held a rubix cube. I’ll make it a gift to myself to decorate for this Christmas, and fill it with treats for both Jim & myself. Then maybe in coming years I can fill it with things for Godzilla.

If anyone is curious, I ordered this one:

And I got these metal numbers too, that I liked better than the wood ones. I think I’ll mix and match them with some other number embellishments in my stash.

3 Likes

That’s really crappy of the manager and the employee, it had to be for reselling. And I’m really glad that you complained.

I love your wooden advent calendar, you can choose the good chocolate now!!

1 Like

Challenge Title: Detention: Astronomy
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: Vinyl leatherette Barbie Shoes
Brief Description: I few moths back I tried to make some Barbie shoes from vinyl. It was a disaster. The small pieces and the glue I used did not work well together and I ended up with more vinyl stuck on my fingers than the shoe sole. I tried again with a simpler design for the shoes and tried a new glue. Presto, shoes that worked. I decorated them with some little rhinestones.

Challenge Title: Detention: Something From Stash
Project Name & Page Link: Junior Mints for Dolls
Brief Description: While looking for something to do in detention, I remembered that my poor muggle dolls did not have any candy to celebrate Halloween. So I snuck a few Junior Mint boxes from the teachers desk and copied them-scaling them down to an American Girl doll size, and a Barbie size. The Barbie ones should be smaller but I knew there was no way I would be able to manipulate such small creasing, folding and glueing.

Challenge Title: Muggles Studies
Project Name & Page Link: No Yeast Cinnamon Rolls

Description: I have had a serious craving for cinnamon rolls but did not want to invest so much time to the process of making it. I was intigued by the recipes I have seen that contain only greek yougurt and flour-no yeast. I decided it was time to give it a try. Look-wise I was impressed. Texture- surprisingly good. Taste- meh I think my yogurt was much too tangy/tart. For my, there is no substitute for the yeast cinnamon rolls. But it was interesting to try!

4 Likes