CLOSED: Nerd Games - Discussion Thread for 2020 Games

I’d be interested in a Nerd Games swap. I wasn’t participating in the Games when the previous swaps happened.

Thanks for heading up the raffle.

2 Likes

This is something I never thought to do and just uploaded the photo each time. To those making community cross posts, we should start doing this!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this here.

1 Like

this sounds like a lot of fun!

2 Likes

Are we doing Throwbacks anymore? I’m trying to organize my crafty to-do list and trying to figure out what to post where (and when).

We were trying to simplify the rules to make joining in easier for new members. I think for now, we will not do throwbacks. Maybe we can add them in at a later date? They weren’t worth any points, they just got raffle tickets. Since there’s an opportunity to earn 56 tickets already, they may be overkill :stuck_out_tongue:

That said, it’s sometimes fun to share old projects. So they won’t be counted for anything, but it would be super fun to see how an old project inspired a new project, or to show how your skills have progressed. So if you want to add a few extra photos with your submitted prompt, I think many of us would love to have a peek :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Personally, I wouldn’t miss throwbacks - I like the pared down version of the games we have now! I wouldn’t be opposed to adding a few things, but it’s nice that we’re more accessible.

I went to check how many free range projects we could use and didn’t find it in the main thread, just a heads up!

2 Likes

I’ll look at it. Thanks! Don’t hesitate to point out any other missing info :slight_smile:

1 Like

I, personally, like the switch. I think instead of going back to the old ones we should switch up the teams every year to keep it fresh. Declare a yearly winner and retire those jerseys. LOL!

3 Likes

Still can’t believe @roler and you are in different teams!!

Given my multi crafting, I’ll have to join her in Team Bits & Bobs…

3 Likes

What?! You’re ditching me too?! It’s cool. It’s just weird.

2 Likes

Time to make some new friends @storerboughtcreation! Ha! It doesn’t matter the team everyone is on but you do have some wonderful new teammates.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone else answered this but I will chime in.
I agree with you. I could tell the donations for the raffle were declining. I think maybe one big coup de grâce near the end of the year. But not right at Christmas because making stuff, sending out packages, and standing in the holiday lines at the post office are killer for me. How about we do it at the end of September? Just my opinion. Feel free to disagree.
I think one swap is great too.

3 Likes

I really liked having the raffle in the summer, mostly because it’s when I have the most time to craft and can donate an item. Swapping during the school year is hard for me because I’m so busy. I always thing things will slow down, but I seem to be busier than ever! But, if it’s a smaller swap, I might be able to sneak it in…

1 Like

@storerboughtcreation Maybe we should have a poll? I think you would get more response that way. I am good with anything. I plan on making a couple prizes this month and next month and holding on to them to send. I can even stand in a holiday line at the post office for the Games.:laughing:

1 Like

@craftADDchick and @gozer… I’ve been thinking about if we were to move it to summer.

I am reluctant to do so. @Smeddley I think has an idea to do something big and fun this summer. We started discussing it, but we still need to make an actual plan. Summer always has more participants join in, and generally is super busy.

I think the new format makes the spring raffle make more sense. With the shift in seasons by one month, the spring season ends in June. The raffle results would be announced at the beginning of July. The summer season won’t end until September 30. August is usually when the games start to really slow down (probably because of back to school). I’m quite curious how the shift is going to effect the summer season. Will things stay crazy busy, or will they drop off?

I think it would be best, at least for this year, to keep the raffle in the spring season. Let’s see how busy the summer is on our new site with our shifted terms, and we can change it next year if everyone wants to.

As for the swap, we can either do it during the fall 2020 (October-December) or winter 2021 (January-March) season. I planned on trying to do it in the fall, but I know that’s also a time that people travel a lot and have lots of holiday stuff going on.

How about we check in after summer. See how everyone feels about doing a swap then?

1 Like

I can tell you right now that Jan-March will be easier for me for a Games swap. Oct is busy with kid’s after school commitments, then holidays. Also, if things go like they did at the old site, there were always a ton a great swaps at the end of the year and it make it really hard to choose.

As I only joined in slightly for last year’s games, I don’t know too much. I do know the old format was quite overwhelming, and for a newbie, this new format is much less so.

2 Likes

That makes total sense. I think I agree that doing a swap in the winter round makes sense. In fact, if someone wants to head a swap right now, message me so we can hammer out details and set one up. If we want to wait a year before we do our first swap, that is also fine. I’ll set up a poll to ask. Let me know here, or send me a PM if you’re interested in running a swap!

IF we can find someone that would like to head a swap (I would, but I honestly have only participated in a few Nerd Games swaps, and I have no idea how to set it up), do you want to do one now, or wait until the next winter season?

We’d open the swap up sometime this week, and have it close before the end of the season so everyone has time to craft, ship, and post.

• Yes!
  • Let’s wait until next winter!

0 voters

I only opted for a swap now just because… I’m fine with waiting and can run the swap any time! And we can totally make it a small swap, I thin prior ones were along the lines of a small or medium item.

I agree that too many things at once could be a bit much, and the summer is going to be something - I don’t know what yet, but it’ll be something! - and that will be the focus. And I think one thing at a time is probably easier! So something in the spring (April-June) (raffle?) something in the summer (July-Sept) (special games) and something in the winter (Jan-Mar) (swap?). This would leave fall (Oct-Dec) open and I think that’s okay because a lot of people are super, super busy around then and there do tend to be a lot of good Christmas swaps and whatnot.

We CAN change that up in the future, if people have more time to craft at certain times of year or if it doesn’t work.

Thanks, @storerboughtcreation, for all the work you’re doing on these games!!!

2 Likes