CLOSED - Nerd Games - Summer 2023

Prompt: Dish Soap (August)
Team: Miss Marple
Project Name: Neutral art journal page
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: It has circles/bubbles and blue and could be used as kitchen art.
Project Photo(s):

12 Likes

I love how it says “Ladies, Assemble!” And there are cookies involved!

:smile:

2 Likes

Prompt: All-Purpose Cleaner (August)
Project Name: Abstract 4x6 1
Project Link: Which Way Is Up? 4x6 Abstracts
Brief Description: It has multiple colors.
Project Photo(s): Photo by jemimah

Prompt: Impressionism (July)
Project Name: Abstract 4x6 2
Project Link: Which Way Is Up? 4x6 Abstracts
Brief Description: It’s (somewhat) pastel colored.
Project Photo(s): Photo by Smmarrt

8 Likes

Anniversary/Retrospective

I finally decided to jump into the nerd games… I’m starting with my favourite projects over the last 10 years, in no particular order.

Acrylic painting

The painting below was inspired by a photograph I took during our family’s “big trip” in 2018-2019 (RV tour of US/Canada). I took the picture at Hopewell Rocks Provincial Park in NB, as my husband was walking in front of me, him and the 3 kids holding hands. I painted myself into the picture :slight_smile:

Watercolour

Pencil Drawing

I drew the picture below from a poster for the movie Logan (excellent film, btw. Also, the honest trailer for it is awesome. Aren’t all honest trailers, though?)

I drew Professor X, below, from a still from the same movie.

Ink/alcohol marker Drawing

Cakes

I made the cake below for my son’s birthday. I got my children into Back to the Future, because I’m a total BTTF geek.

For my daughter’s 11th birthday, she wanted a “sleepover theme” and asked all her friends to come in pyjamas to her middle-of-the-afternoon party.

Can all we adults take a page from her book and do all parties like this from now on? Please? :joy: Anyway, this is the cake I made for her:

Charcoal Drawing

There was this beautiful picture of a dock on the wall at my massage therapist’s office. I always liked looking at it, so I decided to draw it. I snapped a picture and then used charcoal to re-create it.

ATC

Finally, I think this may be the ATC I’ve made that I like most so far. It’s mixed media: collage, ink, and alcohol marker. Also, it’s available for a direct swap if anyone is interested :slight_smile:

9 Likes

You don’t have to ask this lady twice to assemble when you have that many stacked cookies :heart: Hand 'em over lol! But in all seriousness, I really like this page and all the elements in it.

1 Like

I have a question… a while ago I found a post that explained what the different types of projects were (zap, research, tutorial, etc…) and now I can’t find it. Can someone direct me to it?

I was also wondering if this post would be considered a tutorial:

Thank you for any clarification :slight_smile:
P.S. I’m so glad I found this site, and I appreciate you all :heart:

2 Likes

That’s the first post of this thread; the breakdown is a ways down, under “The Points” (after the team and header info).

It’ll also be in the first post of any season’s thread – when the fall Games start, the new thread will have the info again so you don’t have to hunt down past seasons for it.

3 Likes

I think that counts as a tutorial. Welcome to the Nerd Games! :hearts:

2 Likes

Prompt: August- Dish Soap
Team: Sherlock
Project Name: Chest and coins
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made the chest last year but painted it for this project. I also made all of the circular coins and painted them.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August- Bleach
Project Name: Phantom ATC
Project Link:
Brief Description: Christine’s dress is pastel blue
Project Photo(s):

10 Likes

Prompt: Textbook - Big Time projects
Project Name: Wizard Tabard
Project Link: Wizard Tabard
Brief Description: I made this wizard tabard for my husband last month for the renaissance fair! It was the first time I’ve ever done anything this large and wearable! I was pretty nervous about it, but I did it! It even has piping and eyelets! It was definitely a lot of work!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Pop art (July)
Project Name: Candy Corn Coasters
Project Link: Candy Corn Coasters!
Brief Description: This was a stash buster project that I made for the Grab Bag swap! Cut up scraps of fabric into 1.5" strips and sewed them together. Then I cut out the candy corn shape and added backing! The bright colors definitely make it pop-art! :wink:
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Dish Soap (August)
Project Name: Lemon Pom Pom Garland
Project Link: Lemon Pom Pom Garland
Brief Description: I made two of these lemon pom pom garlands for the grab bag swap. They might but circular in shape, but they still somehow look like lemons!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: All-Purpose Cleaner (August)
Project Name: Sausage and Mushroom Quiche
Project Link: Sausage and Mushroom Quiche
Brief Description: I was craving quiche last week, so I made this one for my lunches that week. It was a bit time consuming and had multiple steps but in the end was so worth it!! It was amazing!!
Project Photo(s):

9 Likes

Prompt: July - Cubism
Team: Sherlock Holmes
Project Name: Card set
Project Link:
Brief Description: A set of cards has many pieces.
Project Photo(s):
washicardset-sm

Prompt: July - Impressionism
Project Name: Bear 1 ATC
Project Link: Pocket Letter Trios
Brief Description: This bear looks soft and his fur is textured. (one of a trio from the mini pocket letter swap)
Project Photo(s):
23acs3bfn1-sm

Prompt: August Battle - Vacuum
Project Name: Bear 2 ATC
Brief Description: If this little bear shed, I think the vacuum would be the best way to clean it up. :slight_smile: (one of a trio from the mini pocket letter swap)
Project Photo(s):
23acs3bfn2-sm

Prompt: August - All Purpose Cleaner
Project Name: Bear 3 ATC
Brief Description: There are multiple colors in this card (one of a trio from the mini pocket letter swap)
Project Photo(s):
23acs3bfn3-sm

Prompt: August - Cleanser
Project Name: MMmmmm…Strings! ATC
Project Link:
Brief Description: The texture of the paper gave it a speckled color texture.
Project Photo(s):
23acsmmsbah-sm

Prompt: August - Glass Cleaner
Project Name: Tweets of Love mini cards
Project Link:
Brief Description: All these little notecards are square! (2"x2")
Project Photo(s):
twolctbtsgb

Prompt: August - Bleach
Project Name: Owl & Bunny envies
Project Link:
Brief Description: These envies are pastel colors!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Dish Soap
Project Name: Cat & Raccoon envies
Project Link:
Brief Description: These envies feature a round-ish cat with round eyes and roundish address area plus a blue envie for the raccoon.
Project Photo(s):

10 Likes

The animals on these envies are sooo cute. I especially love the owl :heart: :owl:

1 Like

Welcome to the Games, LindyBlues! I’m so glad you jumped in and can’t wait to see more of your creativity!

2 Likes

Prompt: Free Range
Project Name: Midnight Burger Fan Art
Project Link: Zebulon and Effie Mucklewain
Brief Description: I love the podcast Midnight Burger! It’s heartwarming and quirky and hysterical! This little piece depicts 2 of my favorite characters (who am I kidding—they are ALL my favorites!) who live in an old-time radio. They are Zebulon and Effie Mucklewain from Toadsuck, Arkansas (and they are, apparently, “the Hot Ones”. If you listen, you’ll know why that’s kind of funny). They offer advice, support, and hysterical commentary. I laugh out loud every single time I listen!
Project Photo(s):

9 Likes

Added a link. :point_up_2:

2 Likes

Anniversary/Retrospective

Finally joining the Nerd Games. Some of my favourites from the past 10 years. (A few of the more recent ones have been posted):

9 Likes

Awesome projects @SewCrafty ! I’m so glad you hopped into the fun!

4 Likes

Yay, another nerd! So glad you all are joining us!

3 Likes

Those bears are unbearably cute! :wink:

3 Likes

That dress (tunic?) :heart_eyes:

I love the variety of projects here.

3 Likes