Colors of the Sky Monkey Quilt

This is a Project Quilting challenge quilt. The theme was colors of the sky However, those pesky rules said I couldn’t use blue. So there went my grand plan to make a gorgeous blue and white quilt. It made me a bit surly. So I suggested I would make a green Kansas tornado sky quilt. Down in the comments, someone said “don’t forget the monkeys”.

I had no choice. I had to make a green Kansas tornado sky monkey quilt. To make me even more surly, I didn’t have any fabrics in my stash that would work. So I had to buy some. I bought grunge because it was surly.

Lucky for me, I remembered that I had a piece of monkey flannel in my stash, Even luckier, I was able to find it. Luckiest of all, there was enough to back this quilt.

I tied it with floss to match the block colors, A fiddly bit but I did it any way. So here is my colors of the sky monkey quilt.

21 Likes

That is the cutest surly quilt I’ve seen. Lovely work!

2 Likes

I mean, who’s surlier than the Wicked Witch’s flying monkeys? Cute quilt! Also, now I am thinking of other ways a monkey can be a “sky monkey,” because… wordplay is fun!

3 Likes

What an adorable surly quilt! I love that color of green.

2 Likes

Hope you are no longer surly. Cute quilt!

2 Likes

Very cute!

2 Likes

Thank you.

2 Likes

Thank you. I got over my surliness as soon as I decided to make a cute monkey.

3 Likes

Thank you. I would love to see what you come up with!

2 Likes

Thanks,

2 Likes

Okay, so I had to google translate surly, and it wasn’t what I would think of when you spot this quilt. How cute and lovely!
You can’t get (become?) or stay surly once you see this pretty quilt.
Love it :orange_heart:

1 Like

Tornadoes are NOT funny but I laughed when I read your “Kansas tornado skies”.

I’ve lived in Tornado Alley all my life. Tornado skies bring fear to your blood . Nothing like that shade of green that brings quietness to what it’s about to consume.
I witnessed the Joplin, Mo 2011 tornado that completely destroyed/sucked up about 1/2 the entire town. 2 miles wide; 6 miles deep; giant vacuum.

4 Likes

:four_leaf_clover: :rainbow: Luck’s got nothing to do with it! This amazing project is featured this week! :rainbow: :four_leaf_clover:

3 Likes

Absolutely adorable. Perhaps you should be surly more often? You get great results from it!

2 Likes

This is such a cute and cool quilt! I love the little monkey and the monkey backing, and the white on the monkey’s eyes… and the pink underneath them… So cute and creative!

But I was very lost on the whole “monkey” thing being related to Kansas tornado sky, so I did a search. It wasn’t overly helpful, but I thought you might appreciate what popped up as the second result:

:blush:

Would you believe I’ve seen the film and read the book more than once and still didn’t get the reference??? facepalm lol

1 Like

This is super cute & also hilarious! Find that monkey commenter & make friends! :smile:

The grunge fabric is really great but so is that dot, what a neat way to add depth to Sir Simian.