COMPETE Invite Your Partner 2024 Swap - NEW SEND DATE - Send Out April 2

I forgot to answer the question myself lol. I’m also a bit of both, it depends on what the project is. For dressmaking or knitting garments, I’m very clear about what I’m making, and if I’m going to adapt a pattern, I’ll plan it all out carefully on paper before I start. But for a lot of other sewing, and for most art projects, I’ll make a start and then respond to what happens as it goes along.

Sometimes I think my dressmaking could do with a bit more flexibility, and my paintings could do with more planning and thought!

2 Likes

I started on one of my projects this weekend. I got some new gouache and had fun playing. I really like it so far!

4 Likes

The control freak in me likes to know what it’s supposed to look like and have a plan, but my actual artistic skills can’t always produce what’s in my head and I get frustrated. I’m trying to be better about reacting to what each step produces regardless of the plan (and also on judging the finished product on its own merits and not as a manifestation of what it was “supposed” to look like).

The sweet spot for me seems to be having a basic idea of what the final thing looks like and a plan for how to start. Which is what I think I have for this swap, so :crossed_fingers:t2: .

10 Likes

Yes! I completely resonate with everything you just said.

4 Likes

Sometimes I start with X in mind and end up with Y or Z. That happens a LOT.

6 Likes

I’ve completed one of my pieces for the swap, and I’ll be working on more of them tomorrow.

3 Likes

Same! It always starts as one thing… ends up as something completely new.

5 Likes

I couldn’t be more thrilled about finding time for this swap! I honestly didn’t think I’d be able to fit in anything this month, we are so frikken busy. House renos, an event, work is bananas omg. But I got the studio rearranged into such functional space, it feels so easy to be in there, work for however long, & leave things where they are, then come back to them wherever. It’s great!
All that to say I have fabric selected, pressed, cut, & interfaced for one item I think I’ll be able to sew tonight. I even cut out a second one for another project. Pretty chuffed with them already.

9 Likes

A little of both - sometimes I can see what I want to make and it works (after a re-try or two) - and sometimes it wants to go its own way and evolve into something completely different!

3 Likes

I wrapped up the monster and magnet swaps so I can finally shift focus to this one! Hoping to make some major progress this weekend.

7 Likes

I’ve got one mostly done and a plan for the second but haven’t started it yet.

5 Likes

I received from my lovely partner @Bunny1kenobi over a week ago! I have held off wearing what she sent until I could get good pictures.

I don’t think we have a gallery yet!

8 Likes

Oh, thanks for the reminder! Sorry everyone, I will get onto that now!

4 Likes

The gallery is up :smile: - GALLERY!

I’m looking forward to seeing all the fabulous things!

10 Likes

I finished my 4x6 art for @jemimah tonight! Now for an extra or two and I can send next week.

6 Likes

Exciting!! :smile:

3 Likes

A lovely woman in my knitting group (she actually crochets, but is welcomed because she wants to learn to knit!) helped me out with a project I am slowly working on…it has sped up my process by 3 times!!! Yes, I am starting over, but, it will be worth it! Less frustrating and much faster.

Also, got everything together for my second partner…so that should go along pretty fast as well.

I am going to have to get everything done soon as I will be so busy in March!

9 Likes

I ended up with two shifts at the library last week, in addition to homeschooling the kids, as well as filling out 3 separate government applications, one of which was 16 pages long… plus completing my oldest’s registration package for high school, which is due March 4th (and requires a lot of phone calls because I completely forgot abou ther grade 7 immunizations :grimacing:) …

All that’s to say, I didn’t work on my pieces for this swap last week, as there just wasn’t enough time. But today is a holiday here in Ontario, and I decided to do what I wanted to do—which was make art. So my second piece is now finished. I also finished the first draft of a third piece, and will put it into its final form later today.

I am really enjoying the process and hope my partner will like the goodies I’m working on :heart:

5 Likes

Somebody might have said they like greens.

12 Likes

We had some unexpected events in the family that threw off my schedule, but I am back on track now.
I didn’t answer the check-in question. I usually have a good idea of what I will make and how I want it to turn out. Sometimes, things get tweaked, but it’s recognizable as to what I wanted.

6 Likes