COMPLETE: Halloween Advent - SU 6/11-6/24 SO 8/27

Hey all! Let’s talk Halloween for the weekly check in:

Best Halloween media - movies, books, episodes, etc - we need to have on our viewing list this fall!

I’m going to throw out obvious - Hocus Pocus, Practical Magic, and maybe some Fear Street books?

1 Like

Fear Street Books also Christopher Pike books.

I like Monster House and the Scary Godmother movies.

1 Like

These are new to me! I’m excited for fresh! And double love for Christopher Pike!! Yassss!!!

The very first of anything I ever read by Dean Koontz was a short story called “The Black Pumpkin”. It was about 30 years ago and I’ve never been able to find it since! But if you can get your hands on it, it’s worth reading. Obviously it made an impression because I’ve been a Koontz fan ever since!

I love Hocus Pocus, and the Addams Family!

1 Like

Oh yes… Practical Magic, absolutely… Also, I am a hardcore Charmed fan. There was a great Halloween episode where they went back into time to aid a relative in birthing their family line. So good.

The Nightmare Before Christmas. I saw that in the theater with my husband when we were in high school. :heart:

There are more, but it is an odd hour and I am tired… :smiley:

1 Like

I am loving this list! I will check for The Black Pumpkin!

Awww yisss on Charmed! The clothes! The sisterhood! Ignoring IRL drama, they had such good vibes.

1 Like

I’m a little confused to realize I don’t really have any favorite halloween media, but my child is heavily into the bunnicula books.

3 Likes

I have watched all 8 seasons (that’s 174 episodes) of Charmed every couple of years for the past 13 years. I play it while I am working in the studio or cooking. It’s something that I don’t have to pay much attention too. In fact, I just finished it again about a week ago. Also… I cry a little during the finale… every time. lol :heart:

2 Likes

It used to play for a 3 hour block in the morning, and I would turn it on just to let it run - stopping for a good scene - but otherwise, it was great for house cleaning, or general puttering.

And the last episode definitely tugs those heart strings. Ugh.

Ha! It’s on Netflix! Huzzah!

2 Likes

Gotta look up that Black Pumpkin book!

I love scary stuff during October. The weather just demands a night cuddled up on the couch with something spooky on the tube.

I’ve been playing lots of board games lately and just saw this

2 Likes

I LOVED those as a child! I think there was a cartoon series. I have seen clips on youtube.

1 Like

It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!

1 Like

Re charmed, I’ve tried the first episode or so and didn’t really get into it. How long does it take to really get in its stride as a show?

Not to dissuade, but it can be really campy. I love it for the time it was on air, and being around the same age as the sisters, and the rest of the 90s love. It’s by no means ground breaking (at least to me).

But I still love it. Like checking in with friends you went to camp with.

Oh, yeah, it’s plenty cheesy. I watch it for nostalgic reasons and now it’s like that quirky, slightly odd friend who has trouble making new friends. You spend time with them because you’ve known them forever and they’re familiar and comfortable. It does get better, but yeah, very much a 90s creature. :smiley:

1 Like

Checking in again! I had forgotten about the Addams family, but honestly I never got enough into halloween movies! I guess not having cable was part of it, so we re-watched the things we had on tape. I’ll have to go back and watch some old ones; I know I’ve seen Hocus Pocus, but I think I managed to miss the beginning every time.
Halloween tends to be the time I get into all things Tim Burton, and I recently read Coraline as well. Might get to Sweeney Todd this year. Definitely throw your suggestions at me as to campy old Halloween movies I missed in my childhood!

Also, have just finished another thing, I think that brings me to 4 things finished, one 96% done, 2 more 50%, and solid ideas for the rest. I tried to go get some RIT dye for an unrelated project and after scouring 4 stores I finally found some, and had to go home empty-handed on some other items. My goodness the world is a mess right now, and I had avoided all non-essential stores until today. Sigh.

2 Likes

I watch Seinfeld over and over in the same manner :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I have had a couple of days of waiting for inspiration to strike. Then, very suddenly. I had a clear vision of number 10 so I set to work. Now, I am out of a significant material and have to go to the fabric store again. lol

2 Likes

I am trying to figure out the best means to execute this one component. Because I thought I had the perfect piece, but turns out, it looks like it’s been in a bar fight. So…no.

Good times. 3 weeks left, peeps!!!

Edit: I FIGURED IT OUT!!! YASSSSS!!! I have done this before, but not for anything like this, but it will work. I know it. Now just to wait till I’m off work…

2 Likes

Huzzah! The muse has landed and my path is crystal clear to the finish line. It feels great to not have any days in question anymore.

2 Likes