Cotton Dish Cloths

We used to use sponges for dishes. Several years ago, I got annoyed at how wasteful it felt, so I started crocheting (or knitting) rags out of 100% cotton yarn. They last a lot longer than icky sponges, you can just throw them in the wash, and cotton is biodegradable, so when they get pretty much used up, I can cut them up and put them in the compost!

I just finished a new handful to throw into the rotation.

16 Likes

Yay for cotton dishcloths! Theyā€™re great for using up odd ends of cotton too, so win-win!

2 Likes

A kitchen staple! These are lovely

1 Like

I love the colors!

1 Like

I agree, this is all I use now
The colors are so fun!

1 Like

I love cotton dishcloths! @Lynx (I almost wrote BBM) made me some in those same colors! so bright and cheery!

3 Likes

Pretty! And biodegradable - win/win!

1 Like

Practical and prettyā€¦

One of my ongoing resolutions is to reduce wasteā€¦

I have bags all over the house of various recycled ragsā€¦these would be nice in the kitchenā€¦thanks for sharingā€¦I will be ā€œborrowingā€ this idea!

1 Like

I really like these a lot, I give sets to my auntie for the holidays too. I usually purchase them because I find working with cotton a bit awkward but Iā€™ll have to keep trying because they are such a great, useful item.

1 Like

I love my cotton dishcloths. @Magpie, want another way to extend their lives, as they get old and develop a few holes? Use them between pots & pans for storage. It keeps the pans from scratching one another, and keeps the racket down when digging out the one you need.

5 Likes

oh thatā€™s a good idea.

1 Like

SMART! My kids make so much noise in the kitchen. Can I wrap them in extra cloths too? :smile:

2 Likes

BAHAHAAHA!!

Also, YAY! Glad to hear so many people use the same thing!

Iā€™ve been using a scrub brush because I hated how quickly I went through sponges and they felt so wasteful. I may have to convert to these now instead!

These are great! Iā€™m making a set for my daughter now to get her on the band wagon as well. I will never use a gross sponge again :-1:t2:

These are lovely! My scrubbie just reached the end of its life and Iā€™ve been thinking about what biodegradable thing I can use to replace it - have you ever tried using a more abrasive material, like jute?

1 Like

Iā€™ve crocheted scrubbies using tulle. And Iā€™ve used ā€œscrubbieā€ yarn that has more texture. Itā€™s hard on your hands to crochet but does give you more abrasion.

2 Likes

I might try a little round with some hemp cord I have from jewelry making :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

Those are all good ideas too! Honestly, I just keep old gift cards handy for scraping, and it seems to be enough for me, but Iā€™m not a chef like some people around here. :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve always wanted to try these, are they any good? Would you recommend any specific wool, or just any as long as itā€™s 100% cotton?