Cowboy Caviar

This is a dish I love to make when everything is in season and fresh. It makes a lot, so it’s also great to take along to parties and potlucks. I looked up a bunch of recipes, but every one either had something missing, or something I didn’t care for or couldn’t get. This is what I ended up with that works for me, a mish-mash of half a dozen different takes on the same dish, modified for what the grocery store had in stock.

Dressing:

1/2 cup EVOO
1/3 cup white wine vinegar (can sub red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar)
1 tbsp lime juice
1/4 tsp garlic powder (or more, I won’t judge)
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/3 - 1/2 cup sugar
1-2 tsp dried cilantro (or a handful of fresh, minced)

Combine all ingredients and shake well, until sugar is dissolved.

Veggies:

1 avocado, diced
2 cans black beans, rinsed
1 can sweet corn, drained
2 or 3 roma tomatoes, deseeded and diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 orange bell pepper, diced
1 red onion, diced
1 jalepeno pepper, minced

Pour dressing over veggies, stir, and cover tightly. Chill in refrigerator at least an hour, to allow veggies to marinate. Serve on virtually anything! Tortilla chips, tacos, hotdogs… Store in an airtight container in the fridge.

14 Likes

So pretty! I have a variant that uses black eyed peas instead of black beans. Usually skip the cilantro. But what is evoo?? I must google…

1 Like

One of my favorites as well, and, I make it almost exactly the same! I usually take along the cilantro and avocado to add when it is time to eat or leave out the cilantro in case there are those who can’t stand it…but at home, it is a delicious staple that never lasts long!

@Animegirlie —EVOO…extra virgin olive oil…light and tasty…I’ve tried it with avocado oil but it is just too strong…and yes, we sometimes change it up with black eyed peas or even pigeon peas…yummy!

I think I know what I am buying at the market tomorrow to make this!

@craftADDchick – hey, remember this? lol I still haven’t gone to pick up my bag and container…lol

4 Likes

It was so tasty! I haven’t made it myself, yet, but I have the recipe! And, you should definitely pop by to get your bag and container. They’re still in the same place for now (but since their house isn’t done, might be moving in with Michelle’s parents when their landlord gives them the boot so he can move in!).

3 Likes

Yum, yum, yum! Looks so fresh and delicious.

2 Likes

Looks super tasty :yum:
Thank you for the recipe.

1 Like

I’d never heard of this dish but it looks pretty tasty! Looks like it’s easy to make in larger quantities and goes with a lot of things.

1 Like

Definitely one of my favorites! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

2 Likes

This looks and sounds so good! And a great addition to a potluck to (cowboy) boot!

I knew I had heard “cowboy caviar” before when I read it, but couldn’t think what it referred to and then my mind got snagged on it being a variant of “rocky mountain oysters” and I just couldn’t believe that could be it! :mountain: :oyster: :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

Thanks, everyone!

I only really make it for parties since no one in my house loves veggies the way I do. It’s not the easiest recipe to cut down to single-person quantities that can be reasonably consumed before it goes bad.

2 Likes

Nom! Delish.
There’s a recipe here for poor-man’s caviar that’s based on eggplant :stuck_out_tongue:. I’d like your recipe so much better!

2 Likes

This looks delicious!

1 Like

:star: :mermaid: Congratulations! Your superb craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects! :fairy: :sparkles:

1 Like

Yum! I make something similar adding in diced zucchini and cook it and serve warm with feta on top.

2 Likes

Yum! I made something very similar to this a few summers ago where I grilled fresh sweet corn before adding it, it was delicious! I will have to give your recipe a try this summer.

1 Like

Ooh, I love grilled corn. I might have to mix my recipe up a bit.

2 Likes

When we grill in the summer, I have my husband grill a few extra ears of corn…charring it just a bit to bring out the sweetness…it really does make it a bit different but oh so yummy! mmmmm…

thanks again for posting one of my favorite recipes for on the deck eating! (also, in front of the tv with chips!)

1 Like

I LOVE this dish. So yummy.

1 Like

Could this be frozen In portions maybe?

I would think the veggies would be mushy after thawing. Onion, tomato, peppers, avocado…I don’t think they freeze well and maintain their texture. I don’t mind frozen onion and peppers if they’re going to be cooked, but this is a cold dish with raw veggies. The corn and beans would probably do alright, since they’re already cooked.

2 Likes