Craft Stars Garage Sale Round 2 - Info & Discussion Thread

The bottom should be quite heavy to keep it from being pulled off the table by aggressive yarning too :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

9 Likes

I have a wooden one that is about 6 inches across at the top and has a 4.5 inch base. It is quite heavy. My pottery one is about the same size, but it has a “double” base, which makes it bottom heavy as @Magpie said, to weight it down. My only “complaint” is that they are too shallow at 3" deep.

Here are some other suggestions, but they just may be personal to me:

1. The opening should be more of a “Y” to allow for right and left hand knitting/crocheting…like the first bowl on the top right
  2. I like more of a spiral like the third row bottom bowl to hold the yarn. The top row left bowl barely has a spiral and yarn tends to slip right out.
  3. The extra holes to thread yarn through for colorwork is a bonus, but only if the holes are of equal size.
7 Likes

I have a large yarn bowl and it’s ~8.25" diameter at the top, ~4.75" tall, and the base is ~3.5" diameter. It weighs a little over 2 lbs and can fit a large ball of yarn:

(pictured with most of a ball of lion brand pound of love)

12 Likes

I have 2 different yarn bowls (ceramic and wooden) and personally find the spiral for the yarn to feed through useless. For me the spiral gives too much extra drag on the yarn and/or I pull it over. They’re pretty but I find them more useful to use as a bowl for holding the yarn so it doesn’t flop around than for feeding the yarn through the spiral.

I don’t personally find the holes practical at all since you have to cut the yarn to remove the ball (not useful for when you’re doing a long color sequence and want to put a project away without having the yarn bowl attached).

Here are the bowls I have. The wooden one is 8” across and 3.25” tall. The ceramic one is 6.5” wide on the top, 3” wide on the bottom and 3.25” tall. I think the ceramic one would work a bit better if the bottom was wider.

10 Likes

Yeah, I don’t use the holes either - I use the spiral sometimes, but the bowl is mostly used to keep my yarn in one spot so it doesn’t end up rolling around on the floor where my cat can attack it. :laughing:

6 Likes

Do you hand wind your yarn into a ball? I think it makes a difference if you wind into cakes and also if you use sock or fingering yarns. I don’t think there is such a thing as a universal yarn bowl…lol…that is why we need multiples!!

I agree that it is mostly to keep the yarn from rolling around…I sort of wish I had one with a lid…a spiral lid with an opening…hmmm…omg…FOUND THEM!!

lol–looks like the holes were meant to hold your knitting needles…learned something new! ha

8 Likes

Yeah, I agree with what everyone is saying about the yarn bowls. I love the idea and they look so cute, but they are always too small/shallow or too lightweight. Currently I use large glass mixing bowls for my crochet. I also have an old, glass fishbowl that works well. :rofl:

7 Likes

I was just about to chime in about holes to hold needles when not knitting but I see you made the discovery. :slight_smile:

I think a yarn bowl creator can find an audience for any kind of bowl they choose to pour their energies into bc to use it is so subjective. If you loved making it someone will fall in love with that bowl.

7 Likes

I agree–some of my former clay bowl make wonderful doo-dad catchers! I keep little leftover yarn balls in some of them because I love the bowl!

4 Likes

It’s so interesting there are multiple mentions of weight/needing them to be heavier. Most potters strive to get light bottoms & thinner walls, so I bet they don’t even realize yarnies actually prefer the weight to keep the bowl grounded while in use. I would have never realized that! Totally makes sense now that I’ve read it. :bulb:

12 Likes

Classic. :laughing:

I have a feeling someone is throwing this weekend.

5 Likes

Swooning at the glaze on that one. :heart_eyes: YUMMY.

3 Likes

That’s amazing and creative, haha! :smile:

3 Likes

I love this. :two_hearts:

4 Likes

The bottom of mine is flatter, but there is no glaze on it to keep it “rough” and less likely to slide.

4 Likes

I don’t know if we’re all tired of jewelry, but I’d be happy to make more of the leather earrings I’ve done in the past. If that sounds appealing, I’d love feedback on colors and which style might be more desirable:

Sorry these pics are not awesome… but hopefully you get the gist.

I can also use the lever-back hooks that don’t fall out of your ears. Like these:

13 Likes

Well, it looks like the items I thought I might be able to offer up internationally are still too costly to ship: over $20! For something with ~$25-ish value. Sigh. If it were paper documents (and felt like paper documents) it would be under $9. :slightly_frowning_face:

4 Likes

@Bunny1kenobi I like both but I really love the first one. They remind me of flowers. In terms of colors, I like what you have going on here. The red leather and the little turquoise/green-blue (?) beads are lovely together.

5 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

I love the lever back ones because of the backs and how dangly they are. :heart: I love that length!

2 Likes