Craft This In Your Style - LC Edition

My company has a metal 3-D machine room that I hang out in when I am trying to avoid people. It has this white stuff on it that the guy has to brush away. I was wondering if it was like that.

2 Likes

hmmm, mine doesn’t do that. maybe it’s something that professional or liquid resin printers do.
I’m happy to avoid people all day now that I’m retired.

ETA: metal 3D? so they’re extruding metal? how cool! mine just does plastic!

3 Likes

Yeah. It’s like a fine powder that the piece sits in. It’s hot when it’s done so that might be why.

2 Likes

I just read a little about 3d metal printers. Some use a high-power electron beam or a laser to heat the design inside a container of powdered metal. Metal 3D Printing: An Overview of the Most Common Types - 3D Printing
That would explain the powder you see.

Filament printers like mine work more like a hot glue gun; a thin continuous strand of plastic is fed into a hot tip and deposited on the build plate.

2 Likes

Wow, love this!

3 Likes

Voting is now open for the inspired along challenge, see the entries and vote here

2 Likes

I have an idea. Formulating the plan now…

3 Likes

I am going to work on mine this coming weekend. Last weekend was a doozie.

1 Like

Had a half a day and decided to do this.
Never mind all the smudges please. The black paint took forever to dry!

26 Likes

wow, fabulous!
kind of looks like stained glass…

2 Likes

Oh my goodness! This looks AMAZING!!! I love everything about it! How big is it? That is just stunning @curiousfae. You are so talented and creative!

2 Likes

I made two copies (about 5x7 maybe) of the photo. I cut up one to use as templates for each major piece. Then glued them to the other copy. All the parts are from a magazine. The black paint is fabric paint.

Thanks for the love ya’ll. I’m loving this challenge because I’m a good copy cat. :wink:

4 Likes

Wow, this is fabulous! Great concept and it turned out so, so well!

2 Likes

this is so pretty! I must admit my eye keeps going to the lovely yarn (my obsession, LOL)

3 Likes

Oh my word, I thought it was stained glass.

2 Likes

Today I shocked myself … hand drawn, no tracing involved

27 Likes

I’m loving this thread! I haven’t had the chance to try my hand at the prompts yet, but all these different things are so inspirational!

3 Likes

wonderful! well done, you :heart:

3 Likes

It looks incredible!

2 Likes

Here is my version! I wasnt patient enough and didnt let the liner dry. :face_with_peeking_eye:
I still finished her.

25 Likes