Craft This In Your Style - LC Edition

My craft is 3D printing!

This is a cool technique for printing multiple colors on a 3D printer designed to print just one color at a time.
You create a separate print file for each color, and print one, change the filament color, print that one, etc. etc. etc… This has five colors and took about 3 hours to print, what with all the changes.

This can be used to print permanent, waterproof designs on dimensional items like boxes and phone cases.
I downloaded the original picture, then did the color separation, but forgot to flip the image before starting, so she’s backward. The printer had some issues up in that upper corner.

22 Likes

You are a pro with your 3D printer. What a fun interpretation!

1 Like

Cool! I know our 3-D printer has a bunch of excess you have to remove. Does this way do that too?

1 Like

Do you mean supports or are you using a printer that uses liquid?
Mine uses solid filament, and since this is flat, it doesn’t need supports.
And since I mostly make small, delicate things, I try to avoid supports completely, because they tend to leave marks.

2 Likes

My company has a metal 3-D machine room that I hang out in when I am trying to avoid people. It has this white stuff on it that the guy has to brush away. I was wondering if it was like that.

2 Likes

hmmm, mine doesn’t do that. maybe it’s something that professional or liquid resin printers do.
I’m happy to avoid people all day now that I’m retired.

ETA: metal 3D? so they’re extruding metal? how cool! mine just does plastic!

3 Likes

Yeah. It’s like a fine powder that the piece sits in. It’s hot when it’s done so that might be why.

2 Likes

I just read a little about 3d metal printers. Some use a high-power electron beam or a laser to heat the design inside a container of powdered metal. Metal 3D Printing: An Overview of the Most Common Types - 3D Printing
That would explain the powder you see.

Filament printers like mine work more like a hot glue gun; a thin continuous strand of plastic is fed into a hot tip and deposited on the build plate.

2 Likes

Wow, love this!

3 Likes

Voting is now open for the inspired along challenge, see the entries and vote here

2 Likes

I have an idea. Formulating the plan now…

3 Likes

I am going to work on mine this coming weekend. Last weekend was a doozie.

1 Like

Had a half a day and decided to do this.
Never mind all the smudges please. The black paint took forever to dry!

26 Likes

wow, fabulous!
kind of looks like stained glass…

2 Likes

Oh my goodness! This looks AMAZING!!! I love everything about it! How big is it? That is just stunning @curiousfae. You are so talented and creative!

2 Likes

I made two copies (about 5x7 maybe) of the photo. I cut up one to use as templates for each major piece. Then glued them to the other copy. All the parts are from a magazine. The black paint is fabric paint.

Thanks for the love ya’ll. I’m loving this challenge because I’m a good copy cat. :wink:

4 Likes

Wow, this is fabulous! Great concept and it turned out so, so well!

2 Likes

this is so pretty! I must admit my eye keeps going to the lovely yarn (my obsession, LOL)

3 Likes

Oh my word, I thought it was stained glass.

2 Likes

Today I shocked myself … hand drawn, no tracing involved

27 Likes