Cranberry Olive Oil Cake

Lately I’ve been trying to (mostly) follow the Mediterranean Diet, which focuses on lots of colorful veggies, whole grains, fish high in Omega-3’s, and healthy fats in the form of nuts and olive oil. Meanwhile I also had some cranberries to use up. (Being a New Englander exiled to the South, I stock up on them when they show up in stores in the fall, and hoard them all year long in my freezer.) So the question becomes, how do you use up cranberries in a baked good that tastes great, but also adheres to the whole grains and healthy fats Mediterranean Diet? Make an olive oil cake!

Cranberry Olive Oil Cake
Recipe Ingredients:

• grated orange zest from 1-2 oranges
  • 1 cup coconut palm sugar
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
  • 2 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 12 ounce bag cranberries
  • 3 eggs at room temperature
  • juice from 1-2 oranges, plus water to make 1 cup
  • 1 cup olive oil

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a bunt pan with cooking spray.

In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the eggs together with the sugar and orange zest. Beat for a few minutes and then slowly pour in the apple sauce, orange juice and then the olive oil.

With the mixer on low, slowly add in the flour mixture, leaving out 1/4 cup of flour. Mix until all the wet & dry ingredients have been incorporated.

Toss the cranberries with the remaining flour.

Gently fold in the flour coated cranberries with a spatula. Do not crush the berries.

Pour in the batter into the bundt pan and bake on the center rack in your oven for 1 hour.

Remove from oven and let cool almost completely before removing it from the bundt pan.

If desired you can top the finished (cooled) cake with a powdered sugar glaze, or a drizzle of honey and some chopped nuts.

10 Likes

This looks divine!

1 Like

This looks so yummy! I am cranberry crazy too (I currently have about 3 pounds of cranberries in my freezer) and I will often throw a fat handful into my oatmeal in the morning.

Did you thaw your cranberries first or use them frozen?

1 Like

The bag I used was in my fridge (there were some straggler bags at Kroger last week), but the recipe I based mine off of said that frozen was fine. I altered a bunch of her ingredients to make it more healthy, but I can’t imagine my changes will effect how the cranberries are used.

2 Likes

Good to know, I was mostly wondering whether fresh vs frozen would affect the bake time, sounds like not!

1 Like

This sounds good! We grow a lot of cranberries out here on the WA coast, so fortunately they are easy to come by!

1 Like

Mmm saving this recipe, it looks delicious!

1 Like

Never heard of an olive oil cake, but it sounds really interesting :smiley: and great use of cranberries!

1 Like

It looks scrumptious! Thanks for sharing the recipe :smiley:

1 Like

Oohhh cranberries make such a colorful addition to that cake mix! Looks yummy :slight_smile:

This looks very good.

How does olive oil affect the taste of the cake?

It just tastes like cake. No effect on the flavor. I did use a lighter flavor olive oil, not a super duper extra virgin expensive bottle. It tastes of tart cranberries, a slightly caramel like sweetness from the coconut palm sugar, and a hint of orange from the juice and zest.

2 Likes