Creature from the Deep Teesha Moore Style Patch

I made this for @AIMR in the Teesha Moore Patch/ Adult Merit Badge Swap. She had a theme of “ocean creatures” and I stepped a little outside the norm :wink:

I made the tentacles by stamping the fabric using a stamp I had carved. Then, I outlined them in backstitch. For the suckers, I stitched on seed beads, which took the longest. I should have used French knots! For the ship, I used satin stitch, and for the sails, I did 2 methods for satin stitch- the left 2 sails were made by carrying the floss across the back, and the right 2 sails were made by stitching just to the side of where the previous stitch ended. I liked the second method much better! For the waves, I used 3 different colors of floss (I think) and did something called the feather stitch, which I’ve never done before. I edged it with yellow stitching to brighten up the brown of the frame. Note: I forgot to take a finished photo before I sent, but you can see the border stitching here: Teesha Moore Patch/Adult Merit Badge Swap Gallery

24 Likes

I love this so hard! :heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

Stitching on each bead may have taken a while, but I definitely think it paid off! Love the textural effect and they read exactly like suckers. :smiley:

4 Likes

Thanks, ladies! :slight_smile:

I agree the bead suckers are the best part! Well done!

1 Like

Awesome! It looks great!

1 Like

I did not have my reading glasses with me when I originally posted so I thought all of the suckers were knots! When I touched them, I was amazed that they were beads! Each one sewn with the hole up to look like suckers!!! I love this so much!

Even the background fabric looks like a turbulent sea…and I learned the name of that wave stitch…er, feather stitch…now to learn how to do it!

1 Like

I don’t have my glasses on now and thought they were French knots too!

this looks great @craftADDchick

2 Likes

That’s really cool!

2 Likes

This is beautiful and so detailed

2 Likes

Thank you, everyone! I always love making patches. The entire process- from picking out a theme and figuring out how to represent it, all the way to the last stitch- is just such a fun, enjoyable span of creativity!

3 Likes

OK, the beads totally make this! French knots would have been cool, but you definitely went with the cooler option! Love this. :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks! I had trouble getting a couple of them to lay flat, but you’re right, the effect of the beads is definitely better :slight_smile:

1 Like

I looooooove this and now I want to make one for myself! XD

1 Like

Squee!!! I love this, lady! And the beads are excellent!!!

1 Like

The beads are great for texture! This is right up my alley, I love it!

This is fantastic! The beading is great and adds such great texture

1 Like