Crochet yarn guide question

Edited because I said ring guide and I meant a yarn guide. I had been browsing through pictures since the wee hours and must have still had it on the brain.

Is there a ring guide that goes over the knuckle?

I crochet and my index and middle fingers get stiff and start hurting after awhile. I made this thing, but I’d rather have something made out of metal.

Any leads?

2 Likes

If you go to Etsy and search for “crochet yarn ring”, you’ll see many different kinds. I have this one, which can be size-adjusted to fit anywhere on your finger.

…but I don’t use it very much. If I am crocheting for hours at a time for several days in a row and I feel like the yarn is going to cut my finger off, then I may dig it out of storage to use it.

To get something more like yours, could you use a metal finger splint?

4 Likes

You can crochet one.

2 Likes

Are you really looking for relief from the yarn abrasion, @meowari? Or support for your finger muscles, to keep holding your finger in that position?

2 Likes

OK…now I need one of those…

3 Likes

I’m gobsmacked that you don’t already! (Simply bc you seem to have a Mary Poppins carpet craft bag whenever anyone mentions something. Lol)

5 Likes

This is fascinating! I had never even heard of these and now I must try one.

4 Likes

well, maybe she didn’t have one so far, but now she’ll probably have at least three :smile:

5 Likes

Support for my finger. It gets so stiff. To find a supportive yarn guide would be my greatest crochet dream come true. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I had been thinking of using a finger splint, but I can’t be the only one with this issue, right? Am I crocheting the wrong way? :grimacing:

I wanted something pretty, and to support a small business at the same time. :disappointed:

1 Like

Maybe something like this would help?

Medical metal finger support?

2 Likes

Oooh, those look interesting!

Oooh! There’s a medical supply place not too far away! I like the ring, too!
Thank you!!!

2 Likes

The split rings are great for arthritis. I have several friends who use these.

3 Likes

I have arthritis in my hands…I sometimes wear compression gloves but they are cumbersome. I am looking at the thumb rings…that it the finger that hurts the most when I craft. Learn something new when I come here…seriously, who knew?

3 Likes

I often wonder if I crochet ‘wrong’ or ‘weird’ because I don’t think any of these things would help me - I hold the yarn in my non-hook hand and wrap it over the hook, not using the hook to wrap around the yarn.

Maybe I should try the crochet guide and see if that changes my technique?

1 Like

I’m going to need a picture… don’t think I understand what you’re describing.

My grandma taught me to crochet, and she said you succeed or fail at crochet because of the way you hold the yarn with your non-hook hand. (Meaning, I think, whether or not you’re able to figure out a way to maintain proper yarn tension by running the yarn through those fingers.)

I could not hold the yarn exactly the way she did, but I found a way that worked for me, and I’ve been successfully crocheting ever since. But I don’t know if my unusual way of holding the yarn could be carrying greater risk of some kind of muscle strain or nerve problem.

1 Like

Same here. I don’t do the double wrap on my index finger at all. I weave through my fingers and use them all for tension.

2 Likes

My mom wrapped the yarn through all her fingers and did beautiful crochet.

I don’t wrap at all…I hold the yarn with my ring and pinky fingers and put the yarn over my index finger… probably why my hand gets cramped if I crochet too much without opening my hand…

4 Likes

So I was on the way home from a sundowner last night and may not have been the best at describing with my words! :wink:

I have found I can’t just hold the hook in my right and the yarn AND project in my left. So I hold the hook and work in my right, whilst wrapping the yarn over with my left, then grab the work with my left and manoeuvre the hook through the stitches. I will try and get pictures when someone else is awake.

3 Likes