Crocheted Rainbow Hooded Sweater

DS2’s birthday is this week and my goal is to gift everyone in the house a luxurious wool sweater for their birthdays this year. I had a great pattern all picked out, but couldn’t find the requested rainbow yarn in the right weight. So, I mostly had to wing it, using measurements from a slightly-too-large t-shirt. The book Top-Down Crochet Sweaters (Ohrenstein) is a great learning resource for figuring this out. Not knowing how to tackle the hood, I referred to this pattern.

The yarn is a hand-dyed, fingering weight superwash Merino wool from Yarn Bee (Hobby Lobby) in Meteorite’s Delight. It’s a good yarn for the price (less than $11/100g if you can catch it on sale)…a bit thick’n’thin and the hanks are really hard to match even within the same dye lot. I needed 3.5 hanks for this sweater (roughly a size 7).

My tiny tyrant is totally in love with his cozy new sweater, and that makes my heart so happy! He did, however, ask why there’s so much grey and so little rainbow…I told him it was because if the whole thing was neon rainbow I wouldn’t be able to look at him, it would be too bright! :joy: Which is the truth - that neon yarn is really hard on the eyes.

The pooling on the back of the hood looks like the back of a cobra’s head, and I absolutely love that!

29 Likes

Beautiful! I love how the color pooling worked out. Very cool.

1 Like

This is so gorgeous!

1 Like

Love this! Your tiny human has good taste

1 Like

Beautiful colours, great pattern… what’s not to love?

1 Like

Thank you! He is very fun to create for.

This came out great, and congrats on finishing it in time!

1 Like

So bright and happy! Love it!

1 Like

What a fantastic sweater! I love that you’re trying to make a handmade sweater for everyone in your household this year. I’m sure he will see photos from when he’s wearing it and remember it fondly!

1 Like

Thanks!

I think it was last year that they all got ‘practice’ sweaters in inexpensive yarn (had to hone my skills a bit). Now, I’m feeling confident enough to use slightly more expensive materials that don’t hold up so well if frogged. I’m hoping to make a sweater in handspun by the end of the year. :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Love it!

1 Like

Lovely! And the cobra pattern- are you sure you didn’t plan that? It’s too perfect!

1 Like

I am so glad to see this all done! It’s been fun to see the progress shots here and there. It really turned out cool and I kind of want one just like it, even more for the cobra head!

Tell him that grey skies are a big part of what make rainbows special!

1 Like

Thank you!

I did actually tell him something along those lines when I showed him the yarn…can’t have rainbows without rain.

2 Likes

:mermaid: YOWZA! Your fantastic craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects! Congratulations! :woman_fairy:

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

It’s gorgeous!
I can see why he loves it.

1 Like

That is super cute! Great work and the pooling turned out brilliantly :rainbow:

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

The pooling is wild!

What a fantastic gift!