Crocheted stone and glass pendants

These are not new, but don’t think I ever posted them, so…

The smallest one is glass (you buy them in bags to put in the bottom of vases) crocheted with very thin crochet thread.

Middle one is a slice of a clear crystal. You can’t tell from the photos, but it’s clear with a greenish tinge. Crocheted with size 10 crochet thread.

The largest is actually a carved stone. Also size 10 thread. I bought it at a garage sale. Daughter was selling her mother’s estate. Mother had worked at an art museum, and this was bought by the mom when the museum had an auction of some of the pieces.

Here are the backs:

22 Likes

Love the mix of materials here. That carved stone is an awesome find!!!

3 Likes

These are absolutely beautiful. I really love the mix of stones with fiber. It feels so natural and looks really lovely!

3 Likes

These are so, so lovely! I adore the mix of textures and materials. Each one is so beautifully unique and has a real sense of handmade goodness radiating out of it.

1 Like

Wow!! They look amazing!

1 Like

very clever idea!

I have some odd things I would love to display or wear…I have made crochet frames before…

Thanks for your creative display of your own lovely items!!!

3 Likes

Ooh, the carved stone was a pretty great find!

Did you work with patterns for these, or just make it up as you went?

3 Likes

Thanks, everyone! I love garage sale shopping, though I try to restrain myself from purchasing too much. Every once in a while, I get lucky and find an actual treasure!

I just made these up as I went along, @thanate. I always start with a magic ring (which winds up on the back of the piece), increase using various stitches until the size is about the same as the object, crochet a row or two beyond without increasing. Then after inserting the object, use a needle to run the thread in and out all around the edge and then pull tight and knot it before weaving in the ends.

Edited to add that you need to do rows rather than a spiral.

5 Likes

I’m bookmarking this! I love the beach and am always finding gorgeous stones! Now I can combine my love of stones and crochet! Thank you co much!

4 Likes

Oh these! I love them! I’ve tried to crochet small and just can’t do it :joy: my fingers are too fat for that! :joy::joy::joy:

Seriously in awe of these!

2 Likes

Oooh my goodness, I have so much river-smoothed glass I would love to send you for making these! I’ll have to try it myself as well, but I already know mine won’t look this lovely!

3 Likes

These are so lovely! I can’t decide which one I adore the most. You did a fantastic job.

3 Likes

Ooh, they are nice looking on the front and the back!

3 Likes

These are beautiful! I’ve never seen this mix of stones and crochet before, but I really like it! I especially love the middle-sized crystal one. It would go beautifully with a sundress.

3 Likes

I ADORE your river smoothed glass collection! I’ll make you a deal, calluna: if we ever are swap partners, you send me some of your glass and I’ll send you back a crocheted necklace or two. How about that? :grin::+1:

2 Likes

Sounds like a good deal!!! I used to make a lot of these a few years ago (basically, I’d try crocheting around almost every object I encountered…) but the novelty has worn off for me now… and the tiny crocheting is hard! Glad you two worked something out! :+1: :blush:

2 Likes

This has been on my maker list for a bit! Thank you for describing how you do them!

:four_leaf_clover: :metal::shamrock:

3 Likes

They look fab! What a neat way to wear the stone and glass finds :slight_smile:

3 Likes

SO pretty. The carved stone was a real find. I also love polished pebbles and crystals but could never do anything with them except look at them. This is a lovely idea.

4 Likes

Wonderful mix of textures and colors. Very soothing and fashionable.

1 Like