Crystal Skull Earrings

These poor little earrings have been ‘in process’ for ages! I bought the Swarovski crystal skulls when they first were released 2-3 years ago. I knew I wanted to make earrings, but every time I tried, I had trouble getting any sort of design to work with them. They are clearly an awesome little focal bead, but they needed to be shown off in just the right way. So they have sat on my jewelry work surface in a little catch-all bowl for all that time.

I realized they needed little crowns about a year ago, and found some cool ones that fit just right in my stash. I used flush cutters to remove the charm loop, and then some metal files to clean up the cut. Since they are pewter, the metal was easy to file down. I glued the crowns in place with E6000, and tried again to make some earrings out of them, but nothing seemed to work just right. Eventually the poor little things got dumped back into that catch-all bowl.

Finally, as I was doing a big clean of my studio last week, I came across them again, along with two in process necklaces. I cleaned up everything else, but pulled these out and placed them dead center in my empty work space, so I’d have to see them everyday until I did something with them. I spent well over an hour futzing with them last night, and another 30 minutes this morning, until I finally came up with something I’m happy with. I added tassels of gunmetal chain, along with a few AB2X crystal beads to match the skulls, and finished them with some tiny gunmetal bead caps. And now I’m wearing them around the house feeling completely badass. :metal: :skull_and_crossbones: :black_heart:

18 Likes

They are so elegant, yet, yes, bad ass (very you)! I love their crowns!

2 Likes

I love these! They are so pretty!

2 Likes

I love these too! I also have some really cute little skull beads and you’re right, it’s hard to make them show off in just the right way - yours with the crowns are perfect, especially since they’re Swarovski, fancy!

2 Likes

That is awesome! And I love that they’re also kind of subtle being translucent so you have to get up close to know the secret (if you don’t already know) that Jennie is a total badass :wink:

2 Likes

It’s true. I’m a stealth badass. I look like a cute little refugee from Hobbiton until you get to know me better.

3 Likes

so so much truth in your statement…ha ha ha

Your earrings are so nicely made showing the technical and perfection side of you…the Hobbity part is that they are fun…the skulls, yeah, you are bad ass…

Nice work, Jennie…wear them with attitude!

2 Likes

the crowns are a great touch.

2 Likes

Even though I’m not a skully person myself - these are awesome!! the tiny crowns!!

2 Likes

The earrings are fab…a nice mix of classy and badass. Well done you!

2 Likes

I ADORE these! Fancy and badass!

2 Likes

Totes the baddassiest! No… Bad Sassiest!

2 Likes

Very nice!!! Good job finishing some UFOs!

1 Like

These rock! The fact that you didn’t give up on them even though it was difficult to figure out a design. I think the finishing result is really cool, great design

2 Likes

Wait, Swarovski crystal skulls? How did I not know that was a thing?

Lovely work!

2 Likes

@thanate that’s EXACTLY what went through my head… immediately after “OooOoh, badass!” :star_struck:

3 Likes

Oh my gosh!! These are the coolest. I would wear them All.The.Time. Well done!

1 Like

Classy and badazz at the same time!