Cup Holder/Fingerless Mitts

A friend of mine fell in love with the set of cup holder mitts that I made for our Christmas gift exchange (someone else got them in the game). So, she asked if I would make some on commission - five pairs! For her and her horse-riding buddies. I’m crazy, I know, but she said there was no real rush. It gave me a lot of practice with the Kitchener stitch!

I used two patterns, one for the fingerless mitts, one for the cup holder mitts. A few adjustments had to be made to make them more of a pair and to adjust for a heavier yarn than the first pattern called for. Two are larger (men’s) and two are smaller (women’s). I used Cascade 220 Superwash for all of them.

9 Likes

These are going to be loved by your friend and her horse-riding peeps!

1 Like

Such unique pairs of mitts! No wonder your friend commissioned you to make some, they’re truly one of a kind! Thank you for including the links. I was confused on how the cup holder mittens worked until I checked out their pictures.

Congrats on getting these done!

2 Likes

Thanks! I probably should have included an action shot, but they’re all packaged up now. I have a store-bought one…

3 Likes

That’s a lot of knitting!

I think I would have to get used to wearing two different gloves on my hand…I would probably forget one had a drink in it and bonk my head or something. lol

I can see my more Northern friends thinking these would be a great gift for those cold fall football games!!

1 Like

Thanks for that pic, so do you make one a cup holder and one a normal mitt to form a pair?

1 Like

Yes. I got my cup holder mitt in our gift exchange the previous year, and my friends suggested I see if there was a pattern to make a set. There was, so when I learned to knit, I made a pair…then, five more, lol.

3 Likes

Wow! Five pairs! I know this commission was a slog for you at points…congrats on finishing! Your knitting is perfection.

I have a mit like this from @sheepBlue. We called it a beer mitt, lol. Though I guess you can use them for other beverages. :laughing:

2 Likes

Love the colours especially that lovely green.

1 Like

Thank you, @Abbeeroad! I call them beer mitts, too, but I wanted to be more inclusive in my language. :joy: No beverage left behind.

@Magpie, I love that color, too! It was in the Doctor Who scarf, my scrappy green striped sweater, the striped scarf for DH, and I bought an extra ball for myself just because I couldn’t bear the thought of it possibly being discontinued without having a little stashed away for myself. If I were a dragon, my hoard would be yarn.

5 Likes

These are really cool! No wonder she wanted them!

1 Like