Harry Potter Craftalong - Ostara 2023

Class or Challenge Title: HoM
House: Slytherin
Project Name & Page Link: mindless dish cloth
Brief Description: I find the back and forth simple and repetitive nature of “grandma’s favorite dishcloth” calming. Often I want to be crafting but just don’t have the mental bandwidth for following a pattern or learning something new. This is my antidote for those times. And bonus: this finished off my purple Lily sugar n creme.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Muggle Studies
Project Name & Page Link: care package wrap
Brief Description: While observing Muggles in the Lounge I was made aware of a family who lost everything in a fire on Christmas eve/morning and felt compelled to make a care package. This shoulder wrap was included.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Potions
Project Name & Page Link: dishcloth for magpie
Brief Description: This aqua blue dishcloth is off on the wing to magpie, a character who can cause uncontrollable laughter (sometimes just for herself! Lol).
Project Picture:

5 Likes

House: Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: Super basic bread
Brief Description: I am specifically Not A Baker, but every once in a while do get the itch, and recently have been craving homemade bread. I used the recipe
here, got confused about whether it was supposed to make one or two loaves, and totally didn’t keep everything warm enough while rising(Wisconsin kitchen in winter isn’t exactly toasty), but got mostly edible bread. And there is nothing like the smell of bread baking. :grin:

Project Picture:

5 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress prompts - February challenge
Project Name & Page Link: Wool heart
Brief Description: I participated in a “make hearts-evening” and made a little heart made of wool fabric and embroidery. A material I love to work with, but dont do very often.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Iron Chef - February
Project Name & Page Link: Lohikeitto or Finnish Salmon-soup
Brief Description: The original plan was japanese curry, but since I lacked both ingredients and energy I went for the Finnish soup instead. First time doing it, and it was such a good soup! Im so happy and will make it again!

The recipe:
1 litre of water
300 g salmon, diced
2 cubes of fish broth (for 1 litre of water)
3-4 potatoes, diced
3-4 carrots, diced
1 yellow onion, finely diced
Salt
Pepper
1,5 dl creme
Fresh dill, chopped into tiny pieces

Boil the water and the broth cubes, add the vegetables and let boil for 5-7 minutes. Add the salmon and boil under lid for 5 more minutes.
Add the dill and creme and leave it with the lid on, for 5 minutes or so. Turn of the stove when you have added the creme.

Serve with rye bread or crisp bread. Very good, and easy to make!

Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Hermiones book club - chapter 5
Project Name & Page Link: Dinner for my best friend
Brief Description: I servered the Finnish salmon-soup and crisp bread and for dessert we had ice cream with caramel sause. And since it was a fish-course we had white wine to drink. It was a success, my friend took both a second and a third. :smiley:
Project Picture: (He didnt want to be in the photo, but agreed to show that he was there :sweat_smile:)

4 Likes

Class/Challenge: Headmistress February Challenge
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Pair of Dumpling Kitties
Brief Description: I love to crochet, so for this challenge, I made a pair of cute cats using one of my favorite patterns (Dumpling Kitty, Ravelry link).
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge: Hermione’s Book Club, Chapter 5
Project Name: Three Cheese Meatball Mostaccioli
Brief Description: For this challenge, I made dinner to share with my boyfriend! I used this recipe from a Taste of Home cookbook & served it with garlic breadsticks and a salad.

I made a few changes based on what ingredients I had available: penne noodles instead of mostaccioli, a sprinkle of onion powder instead of a chopped onion, mozzarella instead of romano cheese, homestyle meatballs instead of italian, mushroom pasta sauce instead of meat, and I added ~1/3 of a jar of the pasta sauce because I had some in the fridge I needed to use.

It turned out well (even though the tops of the meatballs burned a little), but I’ll probably halve the recipe if I make it again because it was a lot of food.

Project Picture:

(before & after baking)

5 Likes

New Headmistress, Iron Chef and Book Club prompts have been posted!

4 Likes

SPEW or LC Contest: For Quilts of Valor Foundation
Project Name & Page Link: Split Star Quilt Blocks (25)
Brief Description: This big pile of quilt blocks features the color blue and was a joy to make!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Hermione’s Book Club - Chapter 6: The Portkey
Project Name & Page Link: Grogu Pillowcases
Brief Description: As simple as these are to throw together, they absolutely delighted my DS2 on his birthday.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Defense Against the Dark Arts
Project Name & Page Link: Cup Holder/Fingerless Mitts
Brief Description: Hopefully, the recipients won’t have to face down any flesh-eating slugs, but these mitts should cover their skin well enough to protect them from the chill of a refreshing beverage.
Project Picture:

4 Likes

Challenge: Detention - Reparo
Project Name: Luns Transformation
Project Description: I’ve had this Luns unit for years but we haven’t utilized the chalkboard feature for ages now. Additionally, I needed a place to put my notebook and folder each day when I come home from work, because I can never figure out where I stashed them and it makes me crazy in the morning! I was looking at units at IKEA and on Amazon, but then realized that for MUCH less money, I could just transform what I already had to better suit my needs. I got some patterned sticky-back paper at dollar tree to cover the chalkboard (which was not brightening the entryway at all!) I also took out the little chalk trays and made a foamboard shelf to cover the holes that had held them. The extra piece of sticky paper went on the shelf, as well as a bit of washi tape to cover the front edge. Gold washi tape covered the small gap left on either side of the chalkboard, and I put the trays down on the bottom shelf to corral things so they wouldn’t fall out the sides. I had some glittery pink elastic that I attached to either side so that I would have a stretchy band to keep my notebook and folder on the shelf. It’s much brighter and happier now, and works great for my needs!
I didn’t remember to take a pic of it before, so here’s a stock photo and a pic of how it looks now.
Project Pics:
luns

6 Likes

Awesome transformation!

1 Like

:seedling: :honeybee: :tulip: :four_leaf_clover: :butterfly: :sun_with_face: :seedling: :honeybee: :tulip: :four_leaf_clover: :butterfly: :sun_with_face: :seedling: :honeybee: :tulip: :four_leaf_clover: :butterfly: :sun_with_face: :seedling: :honeybee: :tulip: :four_leaf_clover: :butterfly: :sun_with_face:

HEY EV-ERY-BODY! It’s time to vote in the Spring Is In The Air Challenge! Get on over there before the poll closes on March 27, 2023!

Class/Challenge: Herbology
Project Name: Purple Dumpling Kitties
Brief Description: For Herbology, I used a pattern (Dumpling Kitty, Ravelry link) to make a pair of dumpling kitties.
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge: History of Magic
SPEW: Square by Square Project (local yarnworkers group)
Project Name: Black Blanket Squares
Brief Description: For this class, I made some corner-to-corner blanket squares. It’s an easy project that I’ve made so many times that it doesn’t require a lot of brain power. :slight_smile:
Project Picture:

~

Class/Challenge: Muggle Studies
Project Name: Apple Pie with Graham Cracker Crust
Brief Description: For Muggle Studies, the muggles I studied were celebrating math by making pies :thinking:. So I made an apple pie using this recipe: Apple Pie with Graham Cracker Crust.

• I used 11 graham crackers for the crust and brushed the crust with an eggwash before baking (I think you’re only supposed to use the egg white, but I accidentally used the whole egg & it turned out fine).
  • I used 4 granny smith apples & 2 gala apples.
  • I left out the cardamom because I didn’t have any.
  • I only used 1/2 cup butter (1 stick) for the crumb topping.

Project Picture:
before baking:

after baking:

~

Class/Challenge: Study of Ancient Runes
Project Name: Grey Dumpling Kitties
Brief Description: For SoAR, I used grey yarn to make a pair of dumpling kitties (pattern: Dumpling Kitty, Ravelry link).
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge: Transfiguration
SPEW: Square by Square Project (local yarnworkers group)
Project Name: Blue Blanket Squares
Brief Description: For this class, I frogged an old project (a hat scarf) & made some corner-to-corner blanket squares.
Project Picture:

before:

6 Likes

I love the crocheted kitties!

2 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - WIP
Project Name & Page Link: No Gather Tiered Skirt
Brief Description: The fabric sourcing is more the reason this stayed a WIP than the actual work, but it was a great feeling to get this knocked out.
Project Picture:

7 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Detention: Stash Buster
Project Name & Page Link: Pixie hat
Brief Description: Using the stash left over from earlier Gryffindor themed projects I made up this little pixie hat because it looks like something a baby/young child witch or wizard might wear. As I finished knitting this one she popped a hole so I wound up making a second one to give as a gift and fixed this one to keep here for now. It’s a little small for my giant 4 year old so I might rehome it when she is ready to part with it.

Class or Challenge Title: House Unity
Project Name & Page Link: Pixie Hat.
Brief Description: This little Gryffie pixie hat is going to live with a proper Gryf family.
Project Picture

And lest one thinks I am playing games with braids and making one hat look like two:

6 Likes

I love them!!

2 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Divination
Project Name & Page Link: Labradorite Rosary
Brief Description: This rosary features mystical labradorite, the stone of transformation, believed to protect the wearer from negative energy.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: History of Magic
Project Name & Page Link: Howlite Rosary
Brief Description: I’ve made so many rosaries that it’s not really anything I need to concentrate on as I work - once everything is counted out, it practically puts itself together.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Study of Ancient Runes
Project Name & Page Link: Happy Little Scraps Quilt
Brief Description: The borders and backing on this quilt are shades of grey, some of which look like marble. The piecing of the quilt is all straight lines, too.
Project Picture:

7 Likes

Do you get your rosary supplies anywhere specific, or are they just general beading supplies? I have had making a rosary for the atheopagan rosary on my list for a while but just wasn’t sure where to start.

That scrap quilt is just chef’s kiss.

Thank you!

The rosary medals I do get from a Catholic medals shop on Etsy, but the eye pins, jump rings, chain, and beads are just from various jewelry findings suppliers. If you’re looking for anything specific, send me a message and I’ll give you links to the shops I bought them from.

D’oh! I almost forgot to announce that there are new Headmistress, Iron Chef, and Book Club prompts!

3 Likes

Class/Challenge: Divination
Project Name: Yarn Bowl Coaster
Brief Description: For Divination, I crocheted a coaster to protect my table from my ceramic yarn bowl. It’s made from cotton yarn & has 13 rounds of crochet - I made 2 circles (6 rounds of double crochet each) and crocheted them together with 1 round of reverse single crochet.
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge: House Unity
Project Name: Red Ripple Bowls
Brief Description: For House Unity, I crocheted a pair of ripple bowls out of Gryffindor red yarn. I used this pattern, did 9 rounds for one bowl & 10 rounds for the other, and added a round of reverse single crochet to both.
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge: Potions
Project Name: Blue Ripple Bowls
Brief Description: For Potions, I crocheted a pair of ripple bowls out of blue yarn. I used this pattern, did 9 rounds for one bowl & 10 rounds for the other, and added a round of reverse single crochet to both.
Project Picture:

3 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Charms
Project Name & Page Link: The Count of Monte Cristo Junk Journal
Brief Description: There is a crazy amount of glue, wax, and thread holding this journal together. It’s almost magical how much bigger it gets when you unwrap that rope.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Hermione’s Book Club - ch. 7: Bagman and Crouch
Project Name & Page Link: Junk journal inserts
Brief Description: These pockets and secret note cards were fun inserts to include in my junk journal, a big project that I worked on secretly.
Project Picture:

4 Likes