CYA blouse extension

I like to wear leggings, but many of my blouses are too short for me to feel comfortable with everything hanging out. So I thought of sewing an extension on each blouse to make it longer.

Then I thought, is there a way to make just ONE extension for all of them?

I cut a shirt just below the armpits, stitched a casing, and added elastic.

It’s a weird idea that doesn’t quite work. Any suggestions?

Ironically, I cleared my closet after making this, and got rid of my short blouses; had to dig one out of the donate box for pix.

11 Likes

That’s kind of genius… some added modesty and a bit of contrast for fun.

2 Likes

Well isn’t that clever? I too am tall and don’t like things hanging out :joy:

3 Likes

Talls unite!

I like this idea! Really clever!

3 Likes

It’s a great idea! I think I’ve seen ads for something similar…layering without the bulk.

You said it doesn’t quite work…maybe it’s just that it’s one button-down shirt under another? What if you used a panel of lace or chiffon or a light-weight/flowy knit? The one you have would probably look great under a knit top/sweater!

5 Likes

Great idea! I think this would cute under a too-short sweater. And I think @tendstowardschaos hit upon the right idea! Maybe find a t-shirt with an interesting lower hem and repeat this process?

3 Likes

It looks cute, but I am a fan of layering.

I made bellybands to wear when pregnant, cut a t-shirt just under the arms and add an elastic casing. They move around on the body though which can be awkward & uncomfortable. I prefer a really long undershirt or a slip dress, especially in a slinky fabric to keep layers from sticking together.

1 Like

cool ideas, @tendstowardschaos @Bunny1kenobi and @Magpie maybe it is the button-under-button that’s bugging me. I was thinking it needed some white at the neckline or something, to enforce the illusion that there’s a whole shirt under there.

One shirt I considered using to make the CYA has lace trim at the bottom, making an irregular hem. Problem with that is that it is one of the few blouses that are long enough to wear alone!

2 Likes

Sounds like a trip to Goodwill might be in order! Lol!

3 Likes

Great idea, sorry to hear it didn’t work out! This is one reason why I don’t wear leggings, instead I wear very thick tights (basically leggings-with-feet) and wear them with a short stretchy knit skirt. Still feels a bit like wearing PJ’s. My behind is large enough that any blouse is just going to sit on top of it.

1 Like

That’s an idea, do something that honestly looks like a skirt, instead of trying to pretend there’s a whole shirt involved.

1 Like

Great idea! And a really great starting point to get just what works!

It reminds me of a dickie, but for covering the other end, so like a… “neckie”? :grimacing:

3 Likes

What a great idea and cool final product!

1 Like

So I was thinking about this in bed this morning.

It could have POCKETS! leggings never have pockets.

What if it could hold my keys, and wallet, and phone? I wouldn’t need a purse!
Something between a pair of jeans and and apron and a fanny pack (or whatever it’s called in places where “fanny” doesn’t mean bum). It could button on at the waist, be easy to remove (like at airport security, though that would leave you UN-CYA’d)…

I had a bunch of jeans somebody gave me; I recently gave the ones I didn’t cut up into projects to goodwill. Darn!

1 Like

I do happen to have a lace garment I don’t wear, a thick rayon lace in ecru. I’ve been considering repurposing it, but I can’t quite bring myself to cut up my wedding dress. :grinning:

3 Likes

:scream: Yeah, I would never be able to cut up mine, either.

1 Like

Well, it’s been sitting around for 35 years…I wore it as pert of my dead bride halloween costume a few years ago. But I have trouble cutting up any big piece of fabric…

3 Likes

Yesterday I was re-folding my sweaters to put away for the season. Several I don’t wear often because they are shorter than I like (don’t cover my lower abdomen area). You have given me inspiration to craft a solution.

3 Likes