My mum found a disintegrating rubbish bag full of yarn in the sunroom at my grandparent’s house. She didn’t think it would be any good, but my late grandmother only bought the best and the Patons bluebell ‘patonised’ wool was perfect, even though it was probably from the 60s or 70s.
So she gave it to me and I decided to make a blanket for my niece. I don’t know exactly what I did, (perhaps my husband’s helpful comment “I reckon it’s your tension” is correct), but early on, it started going askew and was dubbed “dancing” by some fellow LCers. I used up all the yarn, except a little of the red and dark pink and it ended up about 3’ square.
Here is the progression (which took me way longer than I anticipated) and the final product (which was “very cute” according to my 7yo niece).