Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups

I made these as a birthday treat for my husband. He loves dark chocolate and when I came across a peanut butter cup recipe from Ghirardelli, I knew I had to make them for him.

The peanut butter was a little loose in the finished product. In fact, it started to melt just while I was taking some glamour shots for this post, causing the chocolate on top to shift to the side. I expected it to hold up a little better than it did, since the recipe called for powdered sugar to be added to the peanut butter, which seemed to give it more body. Overall, it wasn’t a big deal since the peanut butter cups were meant to be consumed rather than simply gazed upon :smile:.

A few things I learned for next time:

• Don’t let the peanut butter spread out to the edges of the chocolate base before adding the top layer of chocolate. Otherwise, you’ll end up with a noticeable peanut butter layer in the middle of the cup (as seen in the pics) vs. a chocolate cup with the peanut butter completely encased inside.
  • Add the sea salt to the top after letting the chocolate mostly harden, otherwise it will just sink right in.

Birthday night presentation of the peanut butter cups along with some dark chocolate Oreo truffles (not my best work, but since my husband was sitting in the driveway waiting to come in, some quick work, lol):

22 Likes

Yum! My husband would love these. Happy birthday to your husband!

1 Like

Amazing!! I make Mr. Road dark chocolate truffles every year for Father’s Day. I’ve never gotten the gumption to try peanut butter cups! Impressive!! Bet he loved um.

1 Like

They look lovely. And @Abbeeroad, I love your idea of making a special treat for Father’s Day. Jim loves peanut butter cups. I’ll have to remember this next month!

2 Likes

What a special birthday you’ve made with these treats! YUM!!!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your tips!

1 Like

Thank you, everyone! @Abbeeroad and @MistressJennie, you both should definitely make these. They are so easy to make and the Ghirardelli chocolate melted so nice and smooth, that I’m thinking it will now be my go-to anytime I need melting chocolate!

1 Like

They look delicious! It’s been so long since I made PB cups - might need to find my molds.

1 Like

Oh geez, these look incredible. I wanna eat some of that!

1 Like

Oooh, I have molds that would work for this! And they look delicious! (Gears turning, plotting and scheming, brain smoking…)

1 Like

That part made me laugh out loud :smile:. Both my husband and I enjoyed these - I enjoyed that they were so easy to make and he really enjoyed eating them! I was afraid the chocolate shell was too thick, but he thought it was just right.

LOVE the festive drizzles on the truffles!

1 Like

Thanks! The drizzles weren’t as nice as I’d have liked, so I called in sprinkles to the rescue :grin:.

1 Like

as an ex-cake decorator, sprinkles hide a multitude of issues!

1 Like