Denim Quilt Hanger for Circular Needles - Talk Scrappy To Me Challenge Entry

I have been kind of obsessed with knitting for the last year…I’ve slowly been collecting all the accessories and doodads that come with the territory, and have found that I love using circular knitting needles. But storing them has become a huge pain in my @ss. See the problem…

To find the right needles, I have to empty out the whole pouch because it’s inevitably become a huge rats nest tangle. I’ve seen wall hangings where people store their circs, but that is just too much visual chaos for me to want to put up in my craft room.

Enter jean scraps to the chat.

I had to take a break from my latest knitting project to give my hands a rest. So I poked around in my craft room and remembered the pile of jean scraps and cutoffs I’ve been keeping for…whatever. I’ve long admired all the beautiful piecing and quilting projects happening over on the Quiltalong, so I thought why not use my scraps to play around with that. I am not a sewing wizard but any stretch of imagination, but I was excited to just play, and wouldn’t feel bad if it ended up crappy because these were scraps anyway.

Here’s some blocks I played around with - didn’t actually end up in the final piece, but they’re waiting for something to come along…

Anyway, here it is! My not-quilted quilted wall hanging? My pieced hanging?

I learned how to do 8-at-a-time hst squares, and had fun playing around with all the possible patterns, until I settled on this one. The top and bottom borders are scraps of the scraps that I bashed together in a wonky stripe pattern so I could get some more length.

I did actually sew 2 loops in the back for hanging, but don’t have a 2nd command strip hanger at the moment to hang it as I’m envisioning, so the clothes hanger is a temporary stand-in, though honestly, it could just be the mechanism for hanging as it works just as well.

And here’s a peek at the inside, all the chaos hidden neatly away.

More details on the inside flap: Hello, my name is chaos.

I wouldn’t have picked these fabrics to go together if I was in a store, but I was working with what I had. And I have a lot of this canvasy type fabric. But I think it works ok considering denim fabric reads almost neutral to me in most cases.

There is a vertical strip with sewn sections so I can easily slip my circular needles through and hang. Then I made the bottom pocket with dividers because i have 1 set of interchangeable needles, and the plastic holder that it came in is very close to falling apart, so I needed to have somewhere new to store that.

I’m excited that I came up with this solution and it busts stash, and uses up some of my jean scraps into a pretty nifty item I’m happy to hang up.

25 Likes

That turned out so beautifully! I love the denim patchwork and the fact that it hides practical storage is simply fantastic. Excellent work!

1 Like

This is so cool! I love how you would never know it’s hiding craft supplies, and just looks like awesome wall art. (Also, I love that you were using your Asheville pouch. Now it can be used for something else! I keep my “must-be-able-to-grab-without-digging” crochet supplies in mine. Scissors (with pop-on sheath), yarn needles, stitch markers, and tape measure.

4 Likes

This is brilliant! You are so clever and creative.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone!! I still have more jean scraps haha, what’s next?

2 Likes

This is a great solution for the circ problem. I love it! Your arrangement of the different color tones is really eye-catching.
Great choices!

1 Like

The patchwork is beautiful! This is such a gorgeous way to store your needles.

1 Like

A travel kit for current projects?

Thanks! :smiley:

A travel kit would be fun! Right now my travel kits consist of a project bag with everything thrown in as a jumble lol.

2 Likes

This is fantastic!

1 Like

I can’t even image patchworking with denim. It just sounds so hard, but you made it look effortless and amazing.

2 Likes

This is such a fun and functional solution to your chaos problem! Love the transformation of old jeans into something so cool!!

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

:green_heart: :purple_heart: :blue_heart: Congratulations! Your amazing work is one of this week’s featured projects! :blue_heart: :purple_heart: :green_heart:

1 Like

Dang, lady, that’s rad. It’s functional and decorative? Geez. I could totally see painting or markering that hanger, too, if I works the best rather than command hooks.

It almost makes me want to keep the clothes that I take to the big bin to be recycled, but since I don’t quilt or really do much with fabric atm I’m willing to let it go. I may go through the clothes for buttons since I like collecting those.

2 Likes

Thanks!!!

1 Like

This is fabulous - so practical, and a great decorative piece too! I really like how you used the different shades of blue in your patchwork!

2 Likes

It’s amazing how varied denim can be. You certainly used that feature to your advantage! I love how it’s hiding the chaos and yet everything is readily accessible. Beauty and function! Makes my heart happy.

1 Like