Talk Scrappy to Me Challenge

:scissors: :yarn: :carpentry_saw: :wood: :pie: :scissors: :notebook_with_decorative_cover: :thread: :safety_pin: :scissors: :yarn: :carpentry_saw: :wood: :pie: :scissors: :notebook_with_decorative_cover: :thread: :safety_pin: :scissors: :yarn: :carpentry_saw: :wood: :pie: :scissors: :notebook_with_decorative_cover: :thread: :safety_pin: :scissors:

Damn girl, you craft with those scraps???

Calling all my hoarders thrifty scrappy geniuses! It’s time to dig through your stash, pull out all those little itty bitty bits and bobs of whatever you love to work with, and whip us up something scrap-tastic. And I am NOT just talking to our stitchers! I’m calling on ALL of you, no matter your medium, to show us how you use up every last bit of stash, be it fabric, yarn, wood, paper, clay, pastry dough, etc. Every medium is welcome in the Talk Scrappy To Me Challenge.

Crafting Period: Six Weeks! June 2 - July 16th, 2023, at midnight.

Inspiration:
-Check out these amazing Clay Pots made with Typewriter letters, wood stamps, and scrap clay pieces by @Bigmouth.
-Got paper scraps taking over your workspace? Create some Scrappy Booklets like these ones by @geekgirl.
-@Riechan used up wood scraps to create an awesome Wooden Christmas Tree.
-Baking a pie? Use up your pastry dough scraps to create flowers and leaves to decorate it.
-Use up all those tiny balls of yarn to knit up a Scrap Busting Sweater like @sheepBlue or hook up a Scrappy Corner to Corner Crochet Blanket like ths one by @Kwality570.
-@marionberries used up fabric scraps AND some fabric masterboard bits to create her amazing Scrappy Oak Tree Prayer Flag with 3D Leaves
-Have little ones who love to play dress up? Create some Scrappy Headdresses and Scrappy Butterfly Wings to let their imaginations soar, like @Abbeeroad.
-Give new life to an old coat like @MightyMitochondria did with her killer Super Scrappy Denim Jacket.
-Use up the bounty of summer vegetable scraps by making quarts of homemade vegetable stock.
-Or bring joy to your craft space by making yourself a Scrappy Bunting like Queen of Scraps, @Magpie.

The Rules:

• Your craft may be any medium that we have a category for here on Lettuce Craft.
  • Your project must be made with a majority of scraps. You may need to add to them, by purchasing something like thread or glue, but the spirit of the challenge is to use the scraps you have. Live by the scrappy spirit!
  • Each member may only submit one entry, which cannot already be posted on its own thread.
  • Additionally, your entry may not be submitted for any other contest in this community.
  • All entries must be posted by Sunday, July 16th, midnight, your local time. (LC will timestamp your post.)

The winner of the Talk Scrappy To Me Challenge will receive a $20 Amazon gift card.

Additional Details:

• You should submit your entry by creating a project post on the correct Completed Projects sub-board for your medium. (Ie. a recipe goes on the Food & Drinks board)
  • You are REQUIRED to have a descriptive title and then include “- Talk Scrappy To Me Challenge Entry” (example: Scrap Quilt - Talk Scrappy to Me Challenge Entry). Once you have posted your submission, you need to reply to this thread with a link to your post. If you do not do this, your entry will not be considered.
  • Voting will happen on July 17-31, 2023.
  • The winner will be announced on August 1- we will contact you via Private Message, after the announcement.
  • If cheating of any sort is discovered, the applicable entry and votes will be disqualified.

If you have any questions, or want to chat about your crafting progress for this challenge, post it here! Let’s have fun! Happy crafting!

:scissors: :yarn: :carpentry_saw: :wood: :pie: :scissors: :notebook_with_decorative_cover: :thread: :safety_pin: :scissors: :yarn: :carpentry_saw: :wood: :pie: :scissors: :notebook_with_decorative_cover: :thread: :safety_pin: :scissors: :yarn: :carpentry_saw: :wood: :pie: :scissors: :notebook_with_decorative_cover: :thread: :safety_pin: :scissors:

Entries
@MightyMitochondria’s Scraptastic Pouch
@AntBee’s Scrappy Fabric No Sew Trinket Dish
@sheepBlue’s Denim Quilt Hanger for Circular Needles
@megwell’s Choose-Your-Own-Adventure Scrappy Embellishments
@Magpie’s Lil’ Red Zip Pouch
@Bunny1kenobi’s Scrappy masterboards ++
@Abbeeroad’s Quilt Block Tee
@Reinikka’s Scrappy Refillable Notebook Cover & One Insert
@MightyMitochondria’s Scrappy American Flag Wall Hanging :trophy:
@Pigeon’s Scrappy Bag
@geekgirl’s Scrappy Heart Garland
@Lynx’s Scrappy Scrunchies
@tendstowardschaos’s Scrappy Quilted Coasters
@Edel’s Scraptastic Quilt
@marionberriesFinal finish! Crochet Basket Marathon
@Kwality570’s Scrappy Granny Stripe Blanket
@SewCrafty’s Doll Clothes
@MistressJennie’s Useless Scraps to Useful Crafts

14 Likes
Talk Scrappy to Me Challenge
  • Mighty Mitochondria’s Scraptastic Pouch
  • AntBee’s Scrappy Fabric No Sew Trinket Dish
  • sheepBlue’s Denim Quilt Hanger for Circular Needles
  • megwell’s Choose-Your-Own-Adventure Scrappy Embellishments
  • Magpie’s Lil’ Red Zip Pouch
  • Bunny1kenobie’s Scrappy masterboards ++
  • Abbeeroad’s Quilt Block Tee
  • Reinikka’s Scrappy Refillable Notebook Cover & One Insert
  • Pigeon’s Scrappy Bag
  • geekgirl’s Scrappy Heart Garland
  • Lynx’s Scrappy Scrunchies
  • tendstowardschaos’s Scrappy Quited Coaster
  • Edel’s Scraptastic Quilt
  • marionberrie’s Final Finish! Crochet Basket Marathon
  • Kwality570’s Scrappy Granny Stripe Blanket
  • SewCrafty’s Doll Clothes

0 voters

5 Likes

This is going to be awesome to watch!

3 Likes

Love this idea - now if I can only organize myself to finish a challenge…

4 Likes

I feel like this is calling my name…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

I am so down for this!

4 Likes

Ooh, I have scraps!

I made a scrappy project for @Rlynn for OWS (it’s in the mail so I won’t share yet), and I’m planning to make some more of them. Or there’s the scrappy quilt pattern I’ve been wanting to try. Or there’s so many paper scraps …

Great (and thrifty) challenge @MistressJennie!!

8 Likes

The hardest part will be choosing what to enter! Dang…

9 Likes

The links you’ve posted are so inspiring! I’m so down for this challenge

4 Likes

Oooh, I might have to try this one! I just made something scrappy for the OWS… Maybe I could make an even scrappier something :smirk:

5 Likes

Very inspiring challenge!

2 Likes

Oh the possibilities are endless!!

2 Likes

In case you need an excuse to get scrappy, there’s a flag swap coming up!
There’s also a whole fabric scrap-along topic.
A couple of my fave scrap fabric projects:
@tendstowardschaos quilt, that’s just one of many!
@Lynx’s twine wreath
@TheMistressT’s scrappy bias tape (original topic lost to cster but here’s some of it in use!)
And of course the recent Sew Scrappy gallery is full of incredible stuff!

8 Likes

You are the perfect cheerleader for this challenge! Thanks for being such a prolific scrappy project maker and for inspiring us with your projects and those of our fellow scrappy members!

Wow! So many ideas…it will be hard to narrow down what to make…anything can be made scrappy!!

5 Likes

Speaking of scraps, look what my momma gave me!
Yesterday she and I met up at the Hoosier Hills Fiber Festival (more on that in an upcoming post) and she gave me two garbage bags full of 100% linen, 100%wool, canvas, and a few quilting cottons. Mom sews early American reproduction clothing for this company and she was kind enough to save me all the scraps! :star_struck::star_struck:

Linen:

I feel like the natural colored scraps are begging to become a prayer flag.

Heavy canvas:

Quilting cottons:

Wools - I didn’t realize the photo was fuzzy. Just know this is a HUGE pile. @Magpie suggested that I make a quilt with yarn ties at each corner. There is more than enough for a full sized quilt.

10 Likes

Are repurposed things included? I have lots old broken jewelry I’m contemplating remaking something new…

5 Likes

OMG, yes please. I wanna see your makes outta that!

2 Likes

I’d say yes… sorta, on repurposed things. Your broken jewelry sounds like a great idea that would fit in. I just want to be clear that this isn’t specifically a recycle/upcycle challenge, like making wind chimes out of plastic water bottles. Not that that’s not cool. Just that’s a specific type of challenge that we’ve done before, and THIS particular challenge is about using scraps leftover from making something else, in a new way. So if you make a pie, and you have leftover scraps of pastry dough, and bake them into tiny hand pies. Or if you have offcuts of wood from building a deck, and you use them to make a side table. And of course the classics, like making a tote bag out of scraps from making a quilt.

And just to clarify your scraps do not all have to be from one particular past project, like scraps from a single quilt turned into a pillow. It can be scraps from many projects.

6 Likes

I have two potential projects in mind that I’m not sure about …

When I packed up my craft room in November / December, I came across some scraps leftover from a quilt I made a couple of years ago. I managed to turn those into two tops for baby quilts before I had to put those in storage as well. Coincidentally, this morning I picked up some more items from our storage unit and came across them, and took them home. I finally have my machines, a table and some projects at the same place for the first time in 6 months, so I’m going to finish them up soon. But as they top was already done last winter, would this project count?

And also, do the scraps leftover from making something have to be your own scraps? Because I rescued some cut-off pieces of tile from the dumpster, technically those are scraps. I bought the tiles but the tiler cut them up laying the floors. I’m thinking of turning those into a mosaic project for the garden. Would that count?

4 Likes

I say yes to all! But clearly I am biased :smile:

I’m literally overwhelmed with choices. I can’t brain very much about this without spinning off into the multiverse of possibilities, it’s just… too exciting!

4 Likes