Denim quilt

Made this for a friend from a few pairs of old jeans and shirts that had been in my stash for too long.

I cut strips from the jeans and stitched them to squares of thin cotton (backs of men’s shirts) semi-randomly. The shirts and jeans were different sizes so I ended up with big and small blocks.

I found some plain white cotton and figured out a layout. I used upholstery fabric as backing and folded it to the front instead of a traditional binding.

I used a pretty heavy batting so I decided to keep the quilting simple: straight lines horizontally and vertically.

23 Likes

Well done my friend!

2 Likes

Turned out beautifully!!

1 Like

This turned out so dang cool! I love the old-fashioned materials (both that they are old clothes and denim) in such a modern design!

1 Like

It’s so calming to look at.

1 Like

I love how it all came together, but I have to ask… what super duper sewing machine do you have that can sew thru denim, upholstery fabric, AND quilt batting at the same time? Because wow. My machine can’t do that.

1 Like

I have an old Bernina 801 that my mum got when she was newly married 40 years ago. I’m a big fan of old machines, I also have a late 1950s Husqvarna.

The Bernina was struggling a bit at the seams, stitching through so many layers at the same time, but most of the time the thickness of the basted was a bigger issue than the amount of layers. I think the Husqvarna is even more powerful than the Bernina but it’s very heavy and I didn’t feel like carrying it downstairs.

2 Likes

So awesome! I love the backing fabric you used too!

1 Like

I agree that old machines are the best. I have a couple of particular models on my “find and buy someday” list… but that’s probably better posted in a different message thread instead of hijacking this one :slight_smile: Thanks!

1 Like

I love it! I really like denim quitls, I have one on my someday project list.

1 Like

Oh you should definitely start that thread! There are lots of fans of vintage machines here.

I bet that is warm and cozy! Never thought of using denim for a quilt!

2 Likes

This is the 3d one I’ve made! I made the very first one because I was a broke college student living in a flat without central heating. I used all of my own old pairs and then had to beg my sister for hers too lol. Then I found out the weight and the warmth make them very cosy & they’re sturdy enough for daily use. I put mine in the washing machine every month. Mr Imma loves the first denim quilt so much he said he wanted a prenup just to make sure he’ll never has to sleep without it again…

5 Likes

:rainbow: Hot diggity dog! Your project is one of this week’s Featured Projects! :dog2:

1 Like

Wow, it looks so smart! that is an impressive amount of work!

1 Like

It’s perfect!
You did an amazing job.

1 Like

I love the different hues of denim and the pop of white is a striking combo!

1 Like

Your denim quilts are wonderful…so glad to hear how you use them a lot!

I just need to buckle down and finish the one I started years ago…thanks for posting such a lovely quilt!

1 Like

You quilt came out really nice! The white does a really nice job of providing contrast to the denim. I enjoyed watching the progress of this and it makes me happy to see it finished!

1 Like

Thanks everyone! I will be making yet another one. Mr Imma wants one for in his music studio! He usually steals the one on our bed but he wants a slightly different size. I don’t have any jeans left in my crafting stash so it looks like he’ll have to sacrifice a few wornout pairs from his closet.

2 Likes