LittleBookLover has a g-tube button (feeding tube in his stomach). He sometimes pulls it out and at the beginning of August, he pulled it out multiple times in one week. When he gets to the point of repeatedly pulling it out, I will typically put him in a zip up onesie to prevent access. Unfortunately, now that he’s getting older and bigger, they aren’t as easy to find in his size. So I decided I would make some for him.
I found a pattern on Etsy that seemed pretty versatile and looked like it would work for years to come. When I went to Joann, I had visions of myself whipping up onesies for every season. Shorts, pant legs, long sleeves, short sleeves, I’d have a onesie ready to go whenever it was needed. But, since I’ve never sewn any garments before, I figured I’d better start by limiting myself to just enough fabric to make one onesie.
I measured LittleBookLover and followed the pattern creator’s guidelines for blending sizes. Once I got the pattern cut, I went to work. After dealing with the many frustrations of sewing jersey knit fabric, I discovered that the best way to go about it was to use the walking foot. I finally finished up the onesie and corralled LittleBookLover to put it on him. But my elation at finishing was short-lived.
Despite taking measurements and customizing the fit based on his specific measurements (size 6 in the chest and height, 2t in the waist, etc), the fit was off. The chest area is fairly baggy and the whole thing needs to be longer as it currently pulls down at his shoulders. I was hoping for a snug pajama-like fit (it is a pajama pattern), but with the chest area being so loose, it pretty much makes the onesie pointless for it’s intended purpose. LittleBookLover can still easily get a grip around his button through the fabric and pop it right out .
Now that I know the areas that I need to make changes to, I can obviously make a more custom fitting onesie, but to be honest, I’m kind of over it now. Thankfully, he’s been mostly leaving his button alone lately and now that we’re getting into the cooler months, I can just put him in some of the fleece zip-ups they sell for bigger kids.
I do like the space dino fabric though and since I have plenty of extra, I am hoping to make him a shirt with it. Hopefully round 2 of ‘AudiobookLover sews clothes’ will go better than my first attempt (especially because I may have already purchased a pattern and some Halloween fabric to make LittleBookLover a cute Halloween shirt) !