This fabric might look familiar. I used it last year to create a zip-up onesie for LittleBookLover. I had mentioned in that post that I was hoping to use some of the extra fabric to make a shirt. I had also mentioned that I hoped my shirt making endeavor would prove more successful than the zip-onesie. Guess what…it did!
After printing and taping together all the pieces of the zip up onesie pattern, I got smart and had an Etsy seller print this shirt pattern on a large format printer. I highly recommend going this route if buying .pdf patterns .
My seams and stitches were far from perfect, but the Redberry pattern was very forgiving. The author did a great job of writing the pattern and providing helpful tips and tricks that made it very easy for a beginner (like myself) to follow. I blended the sizes according to the instructions and was very pleased with the fit of the final product.
I changed up the pattern a little bit and added cuffs to the sleeves. I fussy cut the material so that the cuffs would show off the constellations and only ended up with tiny parts of the dino print that I was able to hide on the back of the cuffs.
Originally, I had planned on using some blue fabric for the collar. The blue fabric was sourced from a cheap t-shirt that had been purchased for a long ago project that never came to fruition. Thankfully, I checked the stretch on the collar before attaching it to the shirt. I found that it had very little stretch and would not have worked well at all. So, I ended up using the gray thermal material instead.
Once the shirt was completed, I was able to get it to the Easter Bunny to include in LittleBookLover’s Easter basket .
I’m so glad this shirt was a success! I’m already planning on using this pattern to make more!