DIY Lily Luggage

I needed a garment bag. A sane person might head to the store, but nooooooo…

open

Um, it doesn’t look lumpy like that in person, all straight lines and beautifully bound seams, like in the “folded” picture below…
folded

the guts
DSCN0161

I got some canvas upholstery fabric (Waverly’s Seaside Lily, in case you’re drooling) on eBay last November, with no idea what I’d ever do with it. Soooo pretty!
54" wide, 120" long; there was some left over from the garment bag, so I made a matching overnight bag:

There was one small piece of fabric left, so I had to use it for a pouch. It’s a rectangle, you can imagine it without a photo.

12 Likes

But a sane person would not have that fabulous print and customized bag!!! Turned out great and functional! Double loops on the inside…and staggered…wow…now that is inventive…

I am sure you will get a lot of use for these both! I bet that L—O–N–G zipper was a joy to put in…lol…

1 Like

zippers are easy if you do them before constructing the rest of the project, just long straight stitches. If you wait, you’re #$%&ed.

1 Like

and thanks for the warning about all the hangers poking out the top. The patterns I looked at online all did it that way, so I designed my own guts.

1 Like

Personalized is so much better than store bought! It looks so much more cheerful as well.

1 Like

Love the fabric! And great job on the bag!

2 Likes

Wow, it looks great! The print is fabulous!

1 Like

The bag looks great. Don’t you hate it when you cant get an accurate picture? I am sure it is straight. It looks it, don’t fret!

1 Like

So pretty!

1 Like

Thanks! I guess the shoulder strap is pulling at it, to make it hang funny.

And thanks for all the kind comments, everybody!

It’s fabulous!

1 Like

:dizzy: :cherry_blossom: Congrats, your wonderful garment bag is one of this week’s featured projects! :cherry_blossom: :dizzy:

1 Like

Update, after 3 weeks on the road
I carry too much stuff even for a single night stay. The duffle is too heavy; a friend was getting rid of a rolly bag, so now I’m using that. Not nearly as cute, but much easier.

The garment bag does a good job protecting my clothes, but the “guts” didn’t work out; the hangers all came loose. I snipped open the top so I can use several loose hangers, and added a ribbon to restrain them.

4 Likes

I love your real life reviews!

1 Like

It’s a learning process. I’d hate for the next person to follow my directions that led to a less than optimal result.

1 Like