DNA model - laser cut

I guess I’ll call this a toy? Seems close.

This is a DNA model / building set. I first designed it for a biology teacher at my school, but this pretty colored version was made for the fabulous @MightyMitochondria as part of the Make a Friend swap. I believe her students will get to play with it soon.

It was designed in Inkscape, made from 3mm birch plywood, cut on a Full Spectrum laser cutter, then painted with watercolors and sealed with poly finish. It was fun painting this version as I didn’t for the original.

Here’s the set:

The teacher wanted something that would work in 2d:

And then include helicase and polymerase to let them model replication:

But also work in 3d. The base is there to help it build up evenly, but once it’s up you can (carefully) pick it up and even lay it sideways. I didn’t want a center pole like a lot of 3d models have. It’s a little tricky to get them all clicked together right, but I love how it looks in the end:

41 Likes

Cool!

2 Likes

Wow! That’s is super cool!

3 Likes

Words cannot describe how much I adore this. Not only did @saintcady making a beautiful, educational model, but she saved me so much money. This kind of model would cost me $50-$90 if I bought it from a science supply company. Saintcady is a rock star!

4 Likes

That’s why I designed it in the first place. I made my bio teacher a classroom set of 20 for her students to work with. If you know anyone local with a laser cutter let me know and I’ll send you the cut file so you can make more!

5 Likes

Wowser! You made twenty of these? That is amazing. I will look around for someone with a laser cutter.

2 Likes

What an amazing teaching tool and fun way to explore DNA!

3 Likes

Wow! Just… WOW!:astonished:

Did you hear that thud? It was my jaw hitting the floor.

4 Likes

Right? Mine too. Jaw, meet floor. Just wow.

3 Likes

How neat!!! My step-mom is a chemistry teacher, and I know she would LOVE this… are you open for doing this again for someone to purchase?

3 Likes

This is awesome!
DNA is fascinating, I could stare t this model for hours.

2 Likes

@Efox Sure, I’d be happy to cut you one for the cost of wood and shipping. The painting and sealing was a labour of love, though. I’d prefer to send it plain. Message me if you want one. :blush:

5 Likes

This is insanely awesome!

2 Likes

Epic.epic.epic.

And I KNOW @MightyMitochondria is the perfect home for this model!

3 Likes

Excuse me while I pick my jaw up of the floor! Fantastic job!

2 Likes

This is amazing! :open_mouth:

1 Like

What an awesome project! My girlfriend is a biology teacher who would like to make a few sets for ther class. They have a lasercutter at their school. Is it possible for you to send me the file so she could make them?

1 Like

Wow! This is fabulous!!

Sure, can you message me your email?

That’s amazing!

(Welcome to Lettuce Craft, Henk12345!)

1 Like