Dog clothes patterns

Now I gotta clothe another daughter, the furry one!
She short-haired & winters are brrrr-chilly-cold here. She’s a super energetic pup who likes long walks, she’ll need a coat. I suspect it’s gonna be a challenge to get her comfy wearing it or even putting it on & it’ll have to go over a harness too. Any recommendations for patterns, fabrics, how to tell if it’s warm enough, etc?

3 Likes

And here the True Reason a dog has moved into the home… more stash-busting opportunities! :guide_dog::socks:

3 Likes

She is currently in the bed wrapped up in Robert’s arms, both snoring. If it wasn’t so completely adorable I might feel a little jealous.

4 Likes

Can you go to a pet store and check out what is available ready-made and then improve or customize it for your dog?

I know my dog hated anything around her legs so we only had things that covered her back and chest as well as her neck–she didn’t mind hoods as long as her ears were free.

In the snow, she learned to wear the cutest little boots.

1 Like

I cut up old clothes for Izzy to wear in the beginning to see how she’d tolerate it. That might be somewhere to start.

3 Likes

What a great idea! Our big black lab would fit a t-shirt but he really didn’t need it or like it. I did make him some paw mittens, which he tolerated for about one block and then chewed them off!

1 Like

I’ll try a shirt first & see. No way she tolerates boots, lol. No. Way.

Most of the things I have made for Delia are based on a jacket I picked up at TJMaxx that fit her well and she would tolerate. She would not go for a hood or things on her legs. The jacket also was made so could “go in from the top” other than quickly poking her head through the neck.

I would suggest fabrics with some stretch such as polar fleece and hook & loop closures. The one I based my pattern on had a slot in the front under the neck hold and one on the back for access to harness D-rings. The original was a faux shearling style fleece lining with a flannel “shell.” I have made a few with fleece and flannel and a fleece and lycra. With a different pattern I did double layers of fleece - that was the one that was chosen to be in the Star Trek crafts book!

While of course the whole idea is to keep the pups warm, it seems like it’s more of a concern that they don’t overheat while wearing clothes than if they are warm enough. Although, this is more of an issue if they’re wearing clothes for more than outside excursions and while unattended by their valets.

It did not take her long to associate putting on her coat with going out for fetch and therefore not mind it at all. I have found it easy to add details to the pattern to make it more fun/funny without making Delia uncomfortable - basically I can trick her into wearing a costume by making it a coat! Examples, because I will not hesitate to show pics of my grrrl!

Figure skater: All-stash glamor!
FigureSkater01

Dogter Pitter - A Papa & Me Dr Potter cosplay.

2 Likes

2nd pick is some awesome costuming.

The first outfit doesn’t go over her head? I’ll revisit your dog outfit posts to look at details, are they mostly in fashion?

Concern for her warmth has me wanting arms but she’s likely to spend all her walky time trying to eat the jacket right off herself. I better start simple.

Keeping the chest/back warm is the goal. Her legs will get warm through the walking exercise as long as her heart and lungs are safely warm. I think you have the right idea to keep it simple!

1 Like

The ones Teddie likes open up totally to be flat and you lay it over her back and straps fall down under to Velcro closed. Here, i’ll do s pic. Disregard any filthiness:

2 Likes

I’ve seen a lot like those…seems simple enough to customize a pattern, @magpie! Your dog will have designer clothes…ha ha

1 Like

Well that looks easy enough. Thanks!

2 Likes

Meaning that the head through the neck is the only thing that does not “go in through the top.”
Most posts are in Pets, under Home and Garden.

This has been our approach. Even in deeper snow and with her balding legs, she stays comfortable with it being her thorax kept cozy.

I will try to get some pics of the basic 'fit off of her to share deets. Most of her stuff was originally posted on craftster.

1 Like

I am laughing because you used the word “thorax”…I was going to use it, but then thought it might not apply the same way to a dog…guess it does! ha

1 Like

HAHAHA! Yeah, it feels insect-y!

3 Likes

Now I am picturing those dogs in spider costumes haha

2 Likes

Betty had a spider costume! A hobo spider… because I put patches on the “elbows” and a bindle on her back!

2 Likes

The general shape Delia wears. I have eliminated the slot on the back, because her harness has the leash attach on the chest.

2 Likes

That is so well done! The vest looks so posh!

1 Like