Dragon Familiar Art Doll

I spent literally a year on-and-off making this dragon for my sister in law.

Here’s me, holding my baby. Lmao

And here’s my inspiration. My SIL, Angela.

Wheeeew. I was SO GLAD to see it go to it’s new home. I was sick of looking at it. Angela loved it. I was basically trying to make a dragon to match her personality and aesthetic.

43 Likes

I saw the first picture and my jaw dropped. It’s BEAUTIFUL!

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

That face! Very cool dragon, and it looks like Angela agrees.

2 Likes

What the… ?!?!
How the…. ?!?!
:star_struck:

I can’t even…

2 Likes

Thank you! I wasn’t sure about the face at first but it came along at the end. I wanted a softly smiling dragon.

2 Likes

WOW! There are not enough words. that is freaking amazing.

his face in the 2nd pic makes me think of Falkor.

3 Likes

Absolutely STUNNING my friend. Beyond words. Brava.

1 Like

Not too many people can say they have a dragon matching their style! I love the picture of your SIL with her new dragon perched on her shoulder…amazing job…the face is just the best…

How did you do the feet? They are so fabulously detailed!

2 Likes

Yes! I thought this too.

This is just THE most amazing thing I’ve seen in a long time. I’m totally blown away!

1 Like

This. :point_up: :point_up: :point_up:

No wonder this took a year! There are so many materials and methods and it really turned out beautifully.

2 Likes

Oh, my word. That’s… amazing!
I have so many questions! Did you model the parts out of poly clay? Are they attached over the fur or built onto the body with the fur overlaid? It looks bendy! No armature or somehow a flexible structure? Did you follow tutorials or make it all up as you went? The face is so sweet and dear, you did such a wonderful job with this.

3 Likes

Thank you!! Yeah I was sorta going for a friendly gentle dragon like Falkor :heart:

Oh geez thank you so much :relaxed:

Thanks so much. You are so sweet. The feet, face, and horns are made from polymer clay. I had never done feet like that before and it was a challenge!! :grimacing:

1 Like

Ohmygosh thank you! It’s so nice to hear some love towards her since I was upset with her for a good amount of the year. Lol I put spots on her face and HATED it and I didn’t know what to do so she sat on a shelf for like six months while I grumbled about it. Then I decided to just flock over it. So our relationship is a little better now but I’m also happy to see her go to her new home. :laughing:

3 Likes

Thanks! Yes it’s a TON of materials and methods. Like it took a lot of research and effort but also she was shelved for like six months mostly because I got angry with her when I painted spots on her face and it looked bad. Lol! I finally just flocked over it and then she was done.

1 Like

Oh wow, thanks, @Magpie !
Her face, horns, and legs are made from polymer clay that is baked onto some wire and put under the fur to be glued on. I definitely made sure to use tinfoil on the inside of the face cuz that sucker is heavy! Then the body has a wire armature attached to the polymer clay pieces and wrapped in fleece. I made sure to make the face not look out of place by flocking it and I was super happy with how that turned out. The wings have wire too so they can be folded back or out.
I used a bunch of tutorials, mostly by Bubblyleaf on YouTube. Of course she is my own design but I learned how to do it in a way that would work the best from Bubblyleaf. She almost exclusively makes art dolls and has like a hundred tutorials on almost all of them. Generally it’s very hard to find tutorials on art dolls because the creators want to keep their techniques more secret so it’s really amazing.

5 Likes

This is stunning!!! I love everything about it!

My son wants a shoulder dragon …… I may have to check out those tutorials!

2 Likes

Holy mackerel! This is absolutely gorgeous. I love the way you sculpted his face with the fur. And his wings are magnificent. I’m obsessed with his little toes as well. You have one lucky Sil.

2 Likes