Dresser to bath vanity--tips?

I’m getting ready to remodel my bathroom, and found a great dresser for the vanity.
I believe I chose well, it’s a good height and has a cupboard in the center, so drawers don’t have to be modified.

My big concern is waterproofing the top. The wood grain is lovely, and I’d like it to show. What kind of finish would work?

Has anyone else done this? Any pitfalls to look out for?

Pictures added since we got it out of the car. 75" long! 6 drawers!

3 Likes

I haven’t done it myself, but if you added a layer of resin to the top would that waterproof it a bit? I’ve seen people make tables out of wood and resin so that seems like a thing that should work. And it would let the wood grain show through.

2 Likes

Gosh, what a beautiful piece of furniture! That wood, wow. It will make a glorious custom vanity. Marine varnish if good for waterproofing wood.

2 Likes

We used Waterlox to do our wood kitchen counters about 4 years ago and it’d holding up great!

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions. I worry that resin will drip off the beveled edge, so a brush on marine varnish like waterlox is probably my best bet.

I’m torn on what sink to get…simple frosted glass or brightly colored Talavera pottery. What a fun dilemma!

1 Like

I’d be tempted to go brightly coloured.

My hubby has made lots of furniture and uses Varathane brand Diamond Wood Finish on his projects. It’s durable and waterproof.

2 Likes

I cleaned a house with that frosted glass sink, actually it was a wooden dresser converted to a vanity as well. That sink was never, ever clean looking. The minute water touched it, it got spotty. Go with the other one!

2 Likes

Good info, thanks!
We’re planning to go to Nogales, Mexico for lunch and sink shopping today. I have to look up the Spanish words for sink, tiles, and dollhouse miniatures.

2 Likes

Waterlox suggests their non-marine finish for counters and that is what we used.

2 Likes

Thanks. Their website tool asked indoor or outdoor, but didn’t have a wet indoor option.

FYI…
Fregadero, azulejo, y casa de muñecas miniaturas.

1 Like

If you want, I can go out and look at which one we used. It has held up great in a kitchen, so I imagine in a bath it would be even better!

2 Likes

Yes, please, if you don’t have to go out in the snow…

1 Like

Here’s a (not-great) photo! We have hardly any snow left :pensive:, but if I let snow stop me from doing things like this, I’d get nothing done for months! I also bought a satin version as a topcoat, because shiny isn’t generally my taste for these kinds of things.

It should be noted that I should have moved what I had left into another container, because the directions say that it air cures and the air in the can is enough to ruin what’s left.

2 Likes

Cool, thanks!
It snowed here in Tucson about a year ago. Exciting!

2 Likes

Tara, did you use anything under this finish? Their website says to use tung oil to waterproof before the finish.

But I’ve always been grossed out by the name. Tung oil. I know they don’t mean tongue, but still…

1 Like

Haha! I had stained it, then followed directions closely. I don’g remember using tung oil, but we have that around so I may have. It does sound icky - like tongue and dung.

2 Likes

Oh and I did do the underside in places where it would likely encounter more moisture, sink, dishwasher stove. Doing both sides of a wood surface in general helps keep it from warping by maintaining even surface tension, etc.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tips.

We found the perfect sink. Handmade Talavera ware, exactly what I wanted.

I had to carry it in my arms like a baby, great adventure!

4 Likes

That is one gorgeous sink! It must be fun to go to Mexico for lunch and shopping. Great find. Your vanity will be beautiful!

1 Like

That is a beautiful vessel! Please make sure to research what can be used to clean it. It would be horrible to accidentally use something too abrasive, because it’s too lovely!

With that said…USE ITTTTTTTT!!!

1 Like