Dresses into market bags

I have had these dresses from Bali in stash for a few years, since the elastic shirring went. The fabric itself was perfectly fine and is so pretty. These three are also all the same pattern, just in different colours.

Based on the colours, I knew I wanted to use them for something for my Aunty and her wife, but wasn’t sure what to make. I needed a last minute Christmas gift for them (wasn’t expecting to see them yet) and since they are embarking on a sustainable lifestyle on an off grid property, I thought a set of reusable market bags, made from recycled clothing, in their fave colours would do the trick.

I thought about making both handles different colours to fully incorporate the idea of a set, but settled with just one colour.

I used this tutorial

24 Likes

Such pretty bags! Sounds like the perfect gift for them, too.

2 Likes

I’m glad such pretty fabrics didn’t go to waste, and it sounds like this beautiful and practical gift is perfect for your aunt.

1 Like

How smart, functional, and pretty!

1 Like

nice bags, great fabric reuse!

1 Like

Those are lovely! I love seeing cool upcycling projects like this.

1 Like

Nice up cycle!

1 Like

These are clearly the perfect gifts. Practical, beautiful fabric, and upcycled. Love it!

2 Likes

Thanks everyone! I was happy with the result.

They weren’t as quick as the tutorial said (10mins - which I will add the link now) due to the fabric being a bit slippery and needing to be cut to size. I am also working between two spaces, so was back and forth to the iron and sewing machine. But if you had the half yard already cut and it was nice cooperative fabric and had everything to hand, I think you would probably be able to do it pretty quickly.

1 Like

These are soooo pretty! It’s really cool that you saved and repurposed that fabric and I bet they were a hit with your aunty and her wife!

2 Likes

Beautiful upcycle!

1 Like

HEY-OH! Your fabulous craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects! Congratulations! :heart_eyes_cat:

1 Like

These are great! and yay for upcycling!!

1 Like

Beautiful upcycle and practical as well!

1 Like