Earth is Our Home Prayer Flag

Made for the lovely @Ewulotta in the Prayer Flag Swap! She listed “Earth (is our home)” as one of her themes and I instantly knew what I wanted to make for her.

I started with an embroidered outline of the Earth (oriented so the US is NOT the center of attention since my partner lives in Germany) and filled it in with teeny tiny scraps of blue and green fabric. I was inspired by some of the ticker tape quilts I’ve seen @sheepBlue create.

I then reverse-appliqued the Earth against black polka-dot fabric, reminiscent of the “pale blue dot.” I added some white french knots for stars and wrote the word “Home” constellation-style.

The Earth actually has a little bit of a 3-D effect. I didn’t mean for that to happen, I think it’s a result of my imperfect reverse applique, but when I noticed it, I put an extra piece of felt behind the Earth before backing. So, yeah, I meant it was totally intentional. :laughing:

So glad to be swapping again and what a great one to start with! :star_struck:

18 Likes

That is so flippin’ awesome, dang!

1 Like

I love it so much :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:! You’re such an artist!

1 Like

You’re the sweetest! I’m glad you like it! :smiley:

1 Like

This is so cool! Love hearing about your creative process so much :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

LOOK AT ALL THE WEE EARTH EMBROIDERY!!! Multiple rings around. and the blanket stitched edging! woot!

lurve it. and i see those french knots!

1 Like

So many new things! Reverse applique, puffy earth, lots of stitching…nice fringing…you do a little of a lot of things and it turned out so good!

1 Like

This is very cool! I love all the details on the applique especially.

1 Like

That’s totally by machine. :shushing_face:

Thanks for the kind words all! :smiley:

1 Like

Absolutely stunning my friend. Lovingly stitched and beautifully designed.

1 Like

Congrats! Your prayer flag is one of this week’s featured projects.

1 Like

Wow! Thank you! :smiley:

Soooo clever making the word HOME out of stars! I love the whole design! :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is so great!

1 Like