Edible sequins

We’re working on entertaining our little ones while social distancing/staying home. This is our second tiny cake to decorate in three days.

The base is a chocolate cake with chocolate icing. I used a half recipe of Hershey’s cake and frosting recipe and baked one six inch layer and two four inch layers (which is what we’ve used to decorate so far). It’s my favorite chocolate cake.

The sequins are something I’ve been wanting to try for a while. Edit to add recipe source/credit It’s 2 1/2 sheets gold gelatin, 1 tsp gold luster dust and 3 tbs water melted in a double boiler then spread on flexible plastic to dry overnight. I found the thicker spots worked better and were prettier, so don’t go for paper thin.

The recipe is similar between multiple sources, but mine is specifically from sweetheatheranne https://onlinelearning.sweetheatheranne.com/making-edible-sequins
Once dry, peel off the paper and punch away with a hole puncher! (Mine is brand new and dedicated to food)

This is, most definitely, a labor of love. If I weren’t just spending time with my boys and was actually making this for someone else, I would attach the sequins once they were asleep using tweezers. As it is, we’re having a good time. :wink::chocolate_bar::cake: wishing you safety and good health. Xoxo

26 Likes

What a great project! Your cake looks amazing

1 Like

When I saw that post title I just HAD to click… and was not disappointed! What an amazing and cool idea! Beautiful!

1 Like

mmmm, Caaaaaake
The sequins are cool!

1 Like

What a great idea … I’m going to bookmark it so I can make some for my grandkids.

1 Like

Ooooo! Super neat! Bookmarking.

1 Like

Took how much fun they’re having! Super awesome.

The sequins are crazy small!

1 Like

Those are so cool!!!

1 Like

Whoa, what? This is so neat!

1 Like

What a fun technique! Thanks for sharing it and the tip about avoiding paper-thin. Your cake looks delicious and your boys are adorable!

1 Like

Very clever and thanks for the tips on how to do it

1 Like

They do look like shiny sequins! How nifty!

1 Like

Wow!
Never even knew gold gelatin was a thing :exploding_head::rofl:

1 Like

Fascinating! And it looks delicious. :wink:

1 Like

I wish it was gold colored! Gold sheet gelatin is just the gelling strength, sadly. From what I understand, it’s the most consistent between brands. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

So cool!!!

1 Like

Congrats! You are one of the featured projects for this week! Way to go!

4 Likes

This is so cool. I love watching those baking shows where they decorate cakes and I have never seen anything like this done before. It’s amazing!

1 Like

I’ve never heard of those before, they look awesome!

These are really cool!!