Emergency chocolate!

We ran out of chocolate, not a square in the house. That’s a recipes for disaster in times like these. Heck, at any time!
Thankfully I know how to make allthethings, heh.

Melt some coconut oil (I have the sort that does not taste like anything, it’s “Deodorized”, whatever that means).
Mix in some sugar and stir over low heat until dissolved.
Add some cocoa powder, sprinkle in any spices you’d like such as cinnamon, clove, cayenne, whatever.
At this point, you can add any extra ingredients you’d like, so long as they are not wet because that will cause separation. Dried fruit, crushed nuts, candy pieces, marshmallow, etc etc.
Pour into a container and put into the freezer until set. Break into pieces, store in the fridge or freezer.
It is super delicious. Usually I can resist having more than one square every day or so but not this stuff, I keep nibbling. I’m making myself sick with the stuff, it’s that good!

16 Likes

You are a very clever woman.

2 Likes

Where there is a will, there’s a way :slight_smile:
Now I know what to do when my chocolate stash is gone!

1 Like

Love the innovation!

1 Like

You have just made my coming weeks way brighter! :clap:

1 Like

You’re so resourceful!

1 Like

One of my favorite canby bars is a Chunky because I love the juxtaposition between the salty peanuts, the sweet chocolate, and the chewy raisins. I have everything in my house except for raisins, but I have plenty of dried cranberries. I haven’t yet dug into my Cadbury Mini Egg stash (out of sight, out of mind), but once they’re gone, I’m absolutely giving this a try.

Did you just mix in th cocoa until it looked good? Or did you taste it as you went?

1 Like

Taste it! Why the heck not? Taste away, it’s like a nice chocolate sauce.

1 Like

Awesome! I’m trying to decide if this is a good thing to know, or a bad thing…:smiley:

2 Likes

what a great idea!
your ingenuity is showing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks to you I just had a nice dessert of chocolate from scratch! I had always assumed chocolate or candy-making would be things I’d never get around to trying, so it felt like an accomplishment even though it wasn’t complicated.
Naturally it tasted good because of the ingredients, but I went wrong somewhere: That sugar would not dissolve. I stirred and stirred for quite some time but it stayed granular as hell. So there was a sweet layer and a non-sweet layer, with the sweet layer being gritty. I’m guessing the temperature of the mixture had something to do with it??

1 Like

Hm, maybe… try pulverizing the sugar so it’s more like icing sugar, see how that goes. I’ll try it again soon too. We are craving all the terrible snacks, might as well make my own chocolate, sweet potato fries, etc.

Mmm, that looks amazing! What spices did you use?

1 Like

Just cinnamon for me.

I want this full of marshmallows!! I had no idea chocolate would be so easy to make!

2 Likes