Emergency rations, dehydrated produce

You can dehydrate practically everything! If you can eat it, you can dry it to eat it later.

I love banana chips but hate how all the commercial ones have sugar on them. Have you ever made dehydrated bananas?

1 Like

Itโ€™s the first food named in the original post, though I didnโ€™t slice them in the round. I donโ€™t eat bananas so couldnโ€™t tell you how they taste . Those are for the kids.

Doh! I swear I read the post! :crazy_face:

1 Like

One of the food trucks we like at our local brewery always has dehydrated oranges with the food order, regardless of what it is. Tasty!

1 Like

I love seeing all these goodies! Things in jars are so satisfying.

1 Like

Last year I dehydrated all our extra zucchini. I shredded it first, then any time I make spaghetti (or plenty of other things) I just toss in a handful.
Plan on doing this every year.

2 Likes

Hey @Subee, thatโ€™s a great idea! When you plant even one zucchini seed you know itโ€™s gonna make you a lot of fruit! Itโ€™s always way more than anybody can use up.

1 Like

Hey, Subee! Just wanted to say hi and welcome to the community!!

2 Likes

Magpie, these look tasty AND beautiful!

1 Like

Candied peel is delicious and easy, but does still involve cooking, so it probably does destroy the Vit C. Orange Peel is really good for so many things, but most of them wonโ€™t retain the nutritional benefits. Either it gets cooked out, as in candy or marmalade, or it isnโ€™t eaten, as in compost or a couple bits in the garbage disposal for de-smelling, etc. One thing I think you CAN do is finely grate the zest onto one of the fruit-leather trays and dehydrate that too.

1 Like

Thatโ€™s a great idea, it would be excellent sprinkled over honey toast.

Weโ€™re still using this stuff up, making a batch of soup or stew once or twice weekly. We should be through it all about harvest time, then we can start all over again!