Emily's catasaurus quilt - aka the fussy cut sampler

This is so amazing! :smiley:

3 Likes

Oh my gatos! Dinoriffic! I especially like the dotted fabrics paired with the stripes and stars, and the cute animated dinos, and the cats in the circles, and … and … oh just everything! Bound in that cheerful green!

2 Likes

That is amazing! I love the “moon”-shaped cat, especially, but the cat/dinosaur combination is just grand. :green_heart:

1 Like

I’m stunned to near speechlessness. WOW!

1 Like

Wow it’s incredible! You did an amazing job making a cohesive and great looking quilt from so many different patterns.

1 Like

i searched etsy quite a bit using different key words. some of the fabrics i paid a bit more for because they were out of print or from another country, but it was totally worth it!
the label block is actually letters fussy cut from a cotton and steel fabric and then arranged to spell out what i wanted to. needless to say, it is very swiss cheesed :rofl:
and as far as leftovers… more catasaurus! haha i’ve already started to use the colors in different things, and as i find things that need fussy cut, i’ll definitely be diving in to that bin!

2 Likes

the fishbowl one is from “ink and arrow” that one i do remember :slight_smile:

i have put a few in to my 100 days 100 blocks that i did that year as well and my my mom’s hidden agenda quilt got a few but it is pretty great to have such a wide variety of kitties and dinosaurs on standby to sneak in to different projects. maybe that’s what i’ll start doing, sneaking them in in a “where’s waldo?” style and have them searched out :joy:

3 Likes

Ooooh myy goodness!!! I love everything about this quilt!!! Both themes, the colors, all the prints, everything! It’s the greatest! Amazing work!

2 Likes

This is an epic endeavor for sure!! Catasaurus is an awesome theme and so personal. Love!

1 Like

I looked it up and resisted buying the fabric but was inspired to make something based on that cute fishbowl idea. What an adorable print!

2 Likes

Wow! Fabulous!

2 Likes

Yahoo! Congrats on being one of this week’s featured projects!

2 Likes

Awesome!! I love the color combination, and cats and dinosaurs are such a fun theme!! I can’t even imagine how much time all those different blocks must have taken but it looks fantastic.

1 Like

Wow, I love how gorgeous this quilt is from afar, but when you look closely, it’s gorgeous with cats and dinosaurs!

1 Like

That is absolutely a show stopper!!!
The fussy cutting with the animals. OMG!

2 Likes

Amazing quilt and love your catasaurus theme! I cant even imagine taking on a task this time consuming (well, I do have a grandmothers flower garden started but it isn’t like I expect to finish in the next 10 years) Really beautiful, just can’t be said enough.

2 Likes

Wow!! Just wow!! It takes me ages to finish a very small paper pieced block hahaha, so this would take my whole life to get done! :joy:

How fun to combine cats and dinosaurs, you did a great job on the colours. I love your personal block!
Just love it, this rocks big time :metal:t3:

1 Like

I love all the details and the fabric choices! You found so many appropriate fabrics that go so well together - you really did a great job choosing background fabrics that complemented each of your fussy cuts without making the blocks too busy.

I really love that bottom corner with the fussy cut name and date. You’ve inspired me to creat a fussy cut name square for the I-spy quilt I plan on making for my son.

I also really like your idea of limiting your color palette as well as having the same color sashing and squares throughout the quilt. It does a great job of creating cohesion.

So, you have your dinosaur and cat prints and then you have your other fabrics, like the green dots, the yellow hangers, the gray lines and such (I’m going to call those your background fabrics). How long did it take you to find your background fabrics? Did you just do searches based on the colors you wanted to use? Did you have an idea of how many different background fabrics you wanted to purchase when you started?

I feel that if I had made this quilt, at least 1/4 of the total project time would’ve been spent on fabric selection!

This quilt definitely rocks! Great job!!

1 Like

i started with a few basics in blue, green & gray, and then from there established that i needed to add the yellow in there for more color rotation. i pretty much kept with the same prints until i felt like they were over used. some of the chapters call for specific things (stripes is the one that comes to mind) so between a few LQSs and etsy, i would start throwing in random searches and pick up a few 1/4 yard pieces at a time… so it is safe to say a LOT of the time went in to fabric selection for sure!

1 Like

Well, all that time totally paid off! Your quilt is wonderful!

1 Like