Escapades in printing and drawing and painting

We had an assignment to do for art school. A personal project where we were to take a building that interested is and take photos, do studies, experiment and generally play.

My inspiration is the sunroom that my husband and I built, it was made with reclaimed Windows and clad in the outside with reclaimed copper. I don’t own that house any more, but I visited recently and I love the way the copper is weathering. I did lots of drawings, collage etc. But then reduced a drawing to a simple line drawing and made a lino cut, and printed fabric. I am surprised and really like how it turned out, it has a very 50s vibe.

These are some of the in process experiments

Some more fabric.

This was a print onto an old baby wipe that had been used to mop up ink.

Drawing on gesso on cardboard.

Faint lino print on this one, copper leaf on a watercolor background

The original photo that I was working from.

Now I’m going to make an art quilt I think, using the same simplified line drawing for the blocks

18 Likes

Gorgeous! I love the print and the texture from the various media you’re printing it on. I can’t wait to see the art quilt!

1 Like

Very cool. Printmaking is so much fun.

1 Like

I really love seeing how you’ve reduced it down to the simplest details and then used that to make more complex patterns. I am very interested in seeing where this quilt idea goes, too!

2 Likes

wow, love every step of the way, from the sunroom you built, through the inspiration and explorations, all the way to the final fabrics!

1 Like

Completely amazing, every little bit of this.

1 Like

This is so cool! I love the inspiration and your minimalist interpretation. I especially love the overlapping prints.

1 Like

Your recent posts all make me want to sign up for art school!

The fabric is wonderful; I love how the color superimposed a window pattern on everything. And I agree with @Abbeeroad that the overlapping prints are just so cool! Wow, an art quilt sounds like a fabulous idea, too… can’t wait to see!

1 Like

The assignment is very interesting, and I love your take on it. Such beautiful results :slight_smile:

1 Like

You totally should! You’d be great

2 Likes

I appreciate all the mediums you use. I am too precious with my creativity. Hummm

1 Like

The ones that overlap remind me of Piet Mondrian! :two_hearts:

1 Like