This is related to my previous post on a project I’m doing for art college. Art project essentially we had to take a building and use it as a jumping off point for drawings, paintings etc.
Of course i had to play with textiles, because they will always be my first love. As per the other post I reduced down the image of the building to a very simplified line drawing. This mini quilt was winged from that. I didn’t really have a technique beyond cutting out rectangles that were roughly proportionate and then adding strips to the squares and joining them.
The original building is a sunroom extension that we clad in reclaimed copper, so the brown fabric has a sheen, I did random free motion quilting to represent the vergidris on the copper. All in blues and greens.
There is a reason that one “window” is in colour. In the original sunroom, that window developed a big thermal crack along it, we added a big stove too close to the windows. I was devastated! I cried. I couldn’t afford to replace the glass and the crack was only on one of the double glazed panels, so I glued on loads of brightly coloured flat glass marbles to make a feature of it. In this quilt i put in the crack with gold thread couched down.
This is another experimental piece I did yesterday from a load of photos I took of the sunroom.
And this is the original designs and photo I was working with. It was a really interesting exercise. When I’m piecing and quilting I’m always aiming to improve accuracy, but it was very freeing to let this be more creative than accurate.
The actual building.