"Expand" acrylic painting

I was so lucky to team up with the delightful and talented @Abbeeroad for the IYP swap recently :smile: We decided to swap a few things, with the main item to be a piece of art. (Check out the gorgeous panda she sent me! :heart:)

We chatted about what she might like, and decided on an idea that I’ve explored in different ways in several paintings over the years - a spiral intersected with lines, partly inspired by the golden ratio.

For this piece for Abbie, I used just two paint colours - indigo (anthraquinone) and quinacridone gold - but they create a really rich range and depth, which I thought she would like. I also used gel medium applied in parts for texture, copper acrylic for highlights to catch the light, and a variety of layered techniques.

It was so enjoyable to paint this, and I’m really pleased with how it turned out too. And I think @Abbeeroad likes it as well - yay!

17 Likes

I absolutely LOVE it! I could just stare at it all day. The colors, the texture, the spiral and circles. Love, love, love!!!

1 Like

Beautiful! The textures from just using the two colors makes it look much more complex. Like Abbie, I could stare at it all day and just marvel at each section. My favorite today is the large blue section with the dots…or maybe the lower left with the canvas peeking through the scratch marks. I bet in person it is even more mesmerizing!

2 Likes

Totally. I never would have guessed it’s only two colors!

1 Like

WOW! I also really love all the variance in the shades and tones with just the two colors and the various textures. Over the years, I have had several notions-that-went-nowhere for doing a project based on the Fibonacci Sequence and it never occurred to me that I could play around with a spiral over intersecting lines that isn’t that. COOL!

2 Likes

This is absolutely stunning. Love the color, texture, composition - everything.

2 Likes

That color combo is so vibrant and gorgeous!

1 Like

I love it!

1 Like

Beautiful textures and the overall design is so compelling. I love how the lines draw your eye back into the spiral, emphasizing the relationships between the curves.

1 Like

This is so entirely beautiful!

1 Like

words cannot express how much I love this!

1 Like

:art: :art: :art: Congratulations! Your Expand painting is a Featured Project this week! :art: :art: :art:

1 Like

Thank you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Incredible color. Truly beautiful.

1 Like

It’s beautiful. I’ve wanted to play around with texture, but I haven’t yet.

1 Like