Fantasy Panda Painting

I made this painting for the wonderful @jemimah in the recent round of the IYP swap. Even though I invited her to swap with me, I was very intimidated by the idea of making art for someone so talented. I really wanted to step up my game. I hemmed and hawed about what I was going to do for what felt like months. If I don’t start, I can’t mess up, right? Right…except eventually I would run out of time! While searching for the right inspiration I came across a fee workshop video from Juliette Crane. I thought this might give me the right kind of depth and texture I was hoping to achieve, while keeping an element of whimsy I thought jemimah would love. I changed the focal animal in my version to a panda for recipient preference. :wink:

There are many, many layers of paint and tissue paper underneath more layers of paint and gelatos and iridescent medium - then more paint on top.

The quote is stamped on tissue paper and then affixed to the canvas. I like the way the tissue paper blends into the background a bit but still helps the letters stand out.

Panda close up for fun. The outline is done with a Stabilo All Pencil:

The design wraps around the sides of the canvas:

It was really fun to make and I’ve been playing with this style a bit more. After worrying about this for so long, it ended up being one of my most favorite things I’ve made (so far). :grin: Thanks for looking!

17 Likes

I love the layers and layers of texture and color you’re able to achieve. It is truly stunning. I also love how the design never ends at the edge, but spills over into delightful little slices of more texture and color and pattern. Your evolution as an artist is amazing to watch - keep going!

3 Likes

Aw…thank you, friend! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

This is the cutest, the sweetest, love the wrap around, awesome

2 Likes

Oooh, I really love the entire look and feel of this. The painting wrapping to the edges is a really nice touch too.

2 Likes

The rosy cheeks are the sweetest!

2 Likes

What a totally fun labored piece. Love it all.

2 Likes

I adore my new panda so much!! :sparkling_heart: :panda_face: :cherry_blossom:

The panda face is so cute, the arty quote is perfect, and the layering of paint and optical colour mixing is absolutely magical. I have her displayed in my sewing room - my happy place where I keep lots of my favourite happy things :smile:

Thank you again Abbie :heart:

2 Likes

I’m so glad! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Adorable!!

2 Likes

The ethereal aspect created by all those layers of tissue and colors is magical! I love the dark rectangles contrasting with the sky - brings out the misty vibe even more. Your panda looks like it’s ready to be everyone’s new friend.

2 Likes

Stunning! The layers, the sweet panda, the background, and the colors are all amazing. You should be very proud. This is really cool. I love the way you wrapped it around the canvas, too.

2 Likes

Beautiful my friend.

1 Like